Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richardsbay

Default Richardsbay

Hey guys,

I'm going to be in Richardsbay this weekend (driving up Saturday and back on Monday). I've read the threads and it looks like Pelican Island and the blind canal are the places to fish.

Is this still the case? Any other recommendations?

Where's the best place to park cars and is it safe to fish alone (and leave cars unattended)?

Lastly, anyone here who wishes to join me?

cheers,
    Warren

Hi Warren

Have not fished Richardsbay for a while, but I usually fish the area around Pelican Island. Never had any issues security wise there, but I only fish during daylight hours. There is usually some sort of activity there, i.e. runners or paddlers, etc.

If you have access to a boat try the harbour area towards the mangroves.

Had some luck on blue/chatreuse/white clousers there.

Have fun.

Cheers
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Fishing Adventures Banned User

Richards Bay harbour can really cook, and you can get a huge variety of species, even skates on fly.

I will be spending alot of time in richards bay over the next 6 months. Anyone have more info to add re fishing there. I stayed in the Protea hotel in the waterfont there the other day and could see lots of skates swimming around during high tide from my balcony over looking the small craft harbour. . Nice little sand bank forming there during low tide and also saw lots of chases. Not sure what it was, but are you allowed to fish in there?

Also anyone have some contact to rent a 3 or 4 bedroom house in RB for six months?
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Was born there,the best spot is the steelbridge and t-jetty

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Hi Morne.

I am currently residing in Richards Bay so if you are in the area I can go show you some spots...

I have not fished small craft myself, but there is a lot of mullet and Perch in front of the restaurants there, people feed them bread sometimes. You are allowed to fish there, but not off the quayside or on the docks. I like to fish more secluded areas though, give me a shout.

Cheers,

Konrad

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Hi Konrad, I'm doing St Lucia and Vidal again this December, would also like to scratch around RB a little.
    You around ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    Hi Konrad, I'm doing St Lucia and Vidal again this December, would also like to scratch around RB a little.
    You around ?
    I will be around. I may not be available during weekdays as I will be working through December. But drop me a mail (sure you still have my details) then we can make a plan. The Brassy's are going to be wild by December!

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    I will be around. I may not be available during weekdays as I will be working through December. But drop me a mail (sure you still have my details) then we can make a plan. The Brassy's are going to be wild by December!

Oooo...tell me more. I may also be up there soon as my wife's parents live there.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Thanks Konrad

I was there yesterday, but was a quick one day trip in and out from CT. Will be back there from Saturday till Monday, but will also be a work trip and wont have much spare time. We should be starting our project in about two weeks time and will then spend some more time there. Did I mention we will have a large barge anchored just of the breakwater? ;-) Was eying that thing yesterday wondering where I can cast from. :-)
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast