Thread: Poppers?

Default Poppers?

I need some help, been busy tying poper flies for various species, but I battle to get the square foam cylindrical for a good presentation.

Would appreciate some help!

HI ROB,

Best is to buy popper shaped bodies that suit your size and shape. If nt and you prefer to do your own ,well thats another story because of size and shape. Poppers are great for all fish, very effective. Let us know what your interests are. WELCOME!!

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi there

Do yourself a favour and go to your local bait fishing tackle shop, they should sell closed cell foam that is cylindrical allready. The bait guys use it to put inside their baits to keep them off the bottom, they are about 80c each and the work perfect, nice for pencil poppers and you can cut it to size aswell. Other wise, tie a flipper, wich in my mind works so much better than a popper.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by nyathi View Post
    I need some help, been busy tying poper flies for various species, but I battle to get the square foam cylindrical for a good presentation.

Would appreciate some help!
    What kind of presentation are you looking for?
    A popper is not supposed to present. It is supposed to smash down on the water with a dirty great splash, and be pulled along with as much disruption to the surface as possible. Isn't that why it's called a popper?

Hi Nyathi,

Welcome to the site. If you are trying to get them into a straight cylinder and not a cone, you could use some sort of pipe that is hollow in the middle. Just push it into a foam block and you will have a nice cylinder in the middle of the pipe.

Cheers
    Grant.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Grant has it spot on!!
    I use water pipe that you sharpen round the edges with a grinder
    Use a vice to push the pipe though the foam and then
    "PoP" (sorry i couldn't resist ) the round foam out of the middle of the pipe

happy popping

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

have a look which ingineering companies does stainless steel work.
    Or companies that manufacture dairy equipment.
    There is always off cuts off various diameters in the scrap bin.
    Explain to them what you need, buy a couple of the various dia, sharpen them and you will have an array of popper cutting tubes.
    Insert into your drill and cut on slow rotation.
    Some of the house hold drills only goes to 15 mm dia. This might be a bit small, then get a smaller tube that will fit in the larger tube. Epoxy it or weld it.
    For about R50 to R100 you could have a vast array of popper cutting tubes.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

When I made poppers in the past, I used those cheap white slops as the foam. Then I cut cylinders out of them using the metal body of those big permanent markers. They're the right shape, and already sharp. You just push them through.

You can then either file them to get a better shape, or just tie one end tightly with strong line to taper it (hope that makes sense.)

Cheers