Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: Swoffing Safari around Oz

Hi Jono

Did you have any luck on the Umngazi. I was there for the first time but was really quiet on all fronts. Did you have good fishing? I was there from the 12th to 17th and weather was k*k!

Hi Jono,
    Wonderful reports, I looked forward to everyone, thank you for the joy ,smiles and affirmation of what a great pastime we share . I am not pleased to admit my levels of jealousy reached new levels.

There is a company here in the UK that offer custom hardcover book printing. No minimum quantities and the quality is superior to the books some of the print shops do.
    Let me know if you are interested and I'll pm the link as I am uncertain about whether I can post a company's url here.

e

Gear Review – Suzuki DF90a 4-stroke
    One of the most important considerations while planning my journey was upgrading the motor on my boat. My boat is a 2001 Southwind UB520 which when purchased in 2006, was fitted with a 50hp Yamaha 4 stroke motor that served me very well for over 2 years while scooting around Sydney Harbour with the rest of the fly fisherman.

The journey ahead was shaping up to be massive, hundreds of hours were going to be spent exploring new waters, covering large distances and visiting unknown places. Recent additions to the boat of a new casting deck and second fuel tank made the boat slightly heavier which meant the 8 year old 50 hp Yammie would have an additional workload and become less fuel efficient. So, with the help of the internet and a couple of fellow boat owners, I did a little homework on what the best option would be for a new engine. Once I’d made the decision to upgrade my motor, I narrowed my search to three different options:

Evinrude E-Tec 90hp 2 stroke
    Yamaha 80hp 4 stroke
    Suzuki 90hp 4 stroke

Main factors in the upgrade were fuel efficiency, weight and the best power to weight ratio that I could get for my boat. Fortunately I have a few mates who have the same Southwind model as I do and in January 09 I headed to Queensland to fish in a tuna comp where two of them would be and this became a perfect opportunity to see how the other guy’s boat's performed. One is fitted with a 75hp Evinrude E-tec and the other with an 80hp Yamaha. The 75hp Evinrude E-tec is basically a de-tuned 90hp and the 80hp Yamaha is a de-tuned 100hp; both motors weighing the same as the larger horse power options. Both are fantastic machines but for my needs I found that the E-tec was a little noisy at idle when sneaking up on fish and the 80 hpYammie was a little too heavy for the hull. This lead me to direct my attention towards the new 2009 range of 4 stroke Suzuki engines.

The Southwind UB520 hull is rated to 90hp and as the Suzuki 70, 80 and 90hp models are pretty much the same weight, I focussed my attention on a new Suzuki DF90a.

'Ok, let's make this happen' - So I Googled Suzuki Australia, found a number, picked up the phone and called the guys from the Haines Group. They were extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming of new ideas to extend their brand presence, getting involved in my adventure and further promoting their new range of 4 stroke outboards here in Australia. After a few weeks of emails and meetings, an offer was presented to me and a new relationship was born. A local Suzuki dealer was arranged for the removal of the existing outboard and fresh install of a brand new Suzuki DF90a 4 stroke. The departure date of the trip had already been pushed back several times and now a week behind schedule, it was all systems go to get the new motor fitted and log up the initial 10 hours before its first service. The outboard was supplied and fitted by John from Northern Beaches Marine in Brookvale, Sydney www.nbmarine.com.au - telephone 02 9905 2117

Needless to say I was extremely excited about seeing my boat with the new motor fitted, and even more so to take it for a spin on the Harbour. When I arrived at the shop, the boat was sitting there with the brand new motor hanging off the back; it looked so compact and stylish, so very professional. The guys from Northern Beaches Marine had done a fantastic job! They'd installed matching white dials on the dash for revs, fuel and speed, a new streamlined top-mounted binnacle and a new ignition system - everything was new and it looked the business! John and I headed down to Roseville boat ramp in Sydney's middle Harbour to take it for a test run.

One of my major concerns was whether the weight of the new motor would lower the rear of the boat to the point where the scuppers on the self draining deck would be below the waterline. But all was fine because at 160kg the motor proved an awesome match with the boat levelling out perfectly after slipping into the water. John ran me through Suzuki's Easy Start System which once you turn the key, the ignition fires until the motor starts. No pumping fuel into the motor, no choke, no fuss, just a clean first start every time. One turn of the key and the the motor immediately came to life, just like a 7 series BMW; direct, unwavering, powerful and unmistakably the quality sound that my ears were longing for. Once the revs subsided slightly and the new motor relaxed to idling speed, it almost became quieter than the little tell-tale jet of water running through the cooling system. My first thought was that this 4 stroke Suzuki 90 is actually quieter than the old Yammie 50hp.

As we glided our way through the no wake zone the motor pushed my beloved Southwind along effortlessly and silently. Once in open water, John suggested that I ease the throttle forward and I immediately noticed was how amazingly smooth the controls were. It sounded so damn good as the motor came to life and I couldn't help myself from looking back, feeding my eyes and ears with nothing short of pure motoring delight. Initially the boat was a little sluggish from standstill to open throttle, with the bow raising up high until she levelled out onto the plane. John immediately suggested that a Permatrim www.permatrimmarine.com would resolve this by keeping the bow down, therefore improving take-off performance. Then and there, John made a call to the supplier and a brand new Permatrim was on the way to his workshop. 'It'll arrive first thing in the morning and I'll fit it immediately so you can come past and take it for a spin again in the morning'. Talk about personal and efficient service!

Next morning I picked up the boat and as per John's word, there it was fitted with the new Permatrim wing. Off I went to the boat ramp, dropped the boat in the water, turned the key (there's that BMW thing happening again), and I silently motored to the open water mark. The binnacle was pressed flat and 90 horses instantly galloped into life in a well orchestrated fit of rage. The bow stayed down and my previously sluggish Southwind lunged forward and had become the ultimate fly fishing machine that I had been dreaming of. 'Hell yeah, now we're talking'. Instantly the rows of million dollar houses lining Sydney's Inner Harbour had become an insignificant blur as a bald guy in a boat with a fat grin on his face went flying around the waterway.

Now let's jump forward 7 months to a place some 8 000km from where the journey started, where the 4 stroke DF90a Suzuki has logged up over 700 hours of constant use on the water and has played one of the most significant parts in making my little dream come true. From the first fish to the last and every kilometre in between, the Suzuki has helped make possible the most memorable fly fishing experiences for me, my friends and my family who came to join me. It starts perfectly every time, it hasn't skipped a single beat, it's silent, powerful, fuel efficient and still satisfies my eyes and ears every time I turn around to stare at it. There's a priceless piece of mind that comes with having a brand new motor, the backing of one of the biggest names in the business and a 5 year warranty. How can you fault that? You can't.

4. Default

Great report Jonno

My uncle has a cat with 2x 140hp suzuki fours and they have given him great service too... Funnily enough alot of the local commercial "line" fishermen are "upgrading" to the new suzuki fours. Must say something about reliability and fuel economy.

An added benefit is that the engine pollutes less than a 2stroke too.

The new suzuki's don't come cheap though
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Nothing is cheap these days, but then again you do get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    Nothing is cheap these days, but then again you do get what you pay for
    Jono, do you by chance know Len, from Recfish Australia?
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Nope sorry I don't.

I know a few Sheilas though
    Last edited by Jono Shales; 12-01-10 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    Nope sorry I don't.

I know a few Sheilas though
    I'm sure you do! The ladies in Sydney are the best I've seen anywhere.

He runs this: http://www.recfish.com.au/
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I'm sure you do! The ladies in Sydney are the best I've seen anywhere.[/url]
    Melbourne girls are the same although Victorian ladies also possess a bit of finesse such as skinny-dipping at midnight last night in the sea when the land temperature was still 37 C after the hottest day in Melbs for a century...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122