Thread: Tackle and Tactics for Wild Trout

Default Tackle and Tactics for Wild Trout

We have quite a few seasoned experts on catching (and releasing for that matter) wild trout.

Perhaps some of you can share some tips / techniques for the upcoming Bells Festival (Rhodes).

PS. If anyone is keen on sharing a lift pm me.

The link to the Bells Festival Thread is : Bells Festival
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    We have quite a few seasoned experts on catching (and releasing for that matter) wild trout.

Perhaps some of you can share some tips / techniques for the upcoming Bells Festival (Rhodes).

PS. If anyone is keen on sharing a lift pm me.

The link to the Bells Festival Thread is : Bells Festival
    Hi Dizzy,

Tie on a size 14 beadhead zak with a yarn indicator 1.5 times the depth of the water and enjoy the fishing

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Dizzy,

Tie on a size 14 beadhead zak with a yarn indicator 1.5 times the depth of the water and enjoy the fishing

Regards,
    Darryl
    Hee Hee

Darryl’s quite right, ZAK's can be the "go to" fly when your on the tiny trout streams. Here are a few of my fav' flies (all 14 to 18):

Dry:
    RAB
    Klinkamer(sp)
    White Dry
    Para Adams
    Small Stimulator

Nymphs:
    ZAK
    Gold Ribs Hair Ear
    Flash Backs
    Cadis’s

Emergers:
    My Seals Fur Emerger
    Modified ZAKS and other Nymphs

Presentation is important, use light tippets with relativly long leaders. Lighter rods, 0 though to 3 wt's, and DT floating lines. As I said to some one else, the fishing is normally close with little or no false casting. To practice the technique, try this...

Place 6 to 8 paper plates out on the lawn, stagger them about 2m apart, slightly zig zagged, stand about 3 meters away from the first one, with the rest 2m away etc… this represents something like pocket water. Tie a little piece of yarn on the end of an old leader, and try hit each plate. At the beginning, don’t worry about what your doing, just stand still and try hit the plates in order, always working away from you. Once you have that down, try walk though the little “run” with out letting more line out, keep about 3m of line out and hit the plates. Once you have that down, put the sprinkler on (to give a little water resistance) and try do exactly the same, but this time without false casting. Some people find it easier to have more line out, and then shorten it. If you can hit all the plates without false casting, turn around and do it into the wind…

Get yourself prepared, it is the Burg, so you will have 4 seasons in one day and the car can be a good hour or twos hike away. Get yourself a light weight fleece, a light weight rain jacket, quick dry pants and shirt; also make sure you have the same stuff for reel bad weather. The nights can be pretty chilly, so pack a nice jersey for the evenings, the houses are pretty warm, but your tent is going to be a little chilly at 3AM, last year we had a thick layer of frost on our first day. A hat, cap and beanie are have to have’s, and don’t forget the sun block, your in the mountains, this means low temperatures, but high UV.

Your going to be hiking a little bit of distance each day, so get yourself walking at least 10k’s a day for the 2 weeks running up to the event, stream hiking is not like walking on the road, so make sure your feeling good about it. Also make sure you’re wading boots are up to scratch, you neoprene socks are up for it. Don’t forget a staff, not really for wading, but it makes a nice walking staff, snake manager, and general all round tool…

Lets think about what else…

• If you have 2 or 3 sticks bring them, it’s not lekker going all that way, break a stick and then what???
    • Small first aid kit, including voltaran(sp).
    • Small fly tying kit, just enough to tie the fly’s above.
    • Headlamp, stick it in your back pack, you never know when you’re going to need it.

I will go though what you need in your pack in another post…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

To fill your pack or not…

I always try keep it simple, which keeps it light, you don’t want to be a pack mule, when you’re trying to fish the prettiest waters in SA.

Back Pack
    • Camera
    • Light Fleece, I found a great one at Cape Storm, unfortunate name, Puffadder.
    • Rain Jacket, I found a great rain poncho at Due South.
    • Beanie.
    • Chocolate and energy bar.
    • Headlamp
    • Small Leather Man
    • Basic First Aid kit – rehidrate, anti-histamine, Dettol, gauze, tape, snake bite kit.
    • And leave space for lunch; that will be provided.

Leave a small bag in the car with the following:
    • Change of cloths
    • Warm Jacket
    • Fresh water.
    • Always keep you boots in their own bag, I use a green Pick ‘n Pay bag.

Fishing Jacket:
    • Nippers
    • Hemostat – forceps
    • Split Shot – different weights
    • Fly Box, I always carry 2, one for nymphs and emergers and one for dry’s, just to keep it organized and easily accessed.
    • Floatant
    • Indicator Yarn
    • Tippet Material
    • K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)

Remember, what you carry in, you carry out, and I ain’t carrying you…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    • Small first aid kit, including voltaran(sp)
    I should be able to help there ...
    Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 08-02-07 at 09:29 PM.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Dizzy

Stealth is you friend!! Generally (and I know I'm gonna get flamed for this), the anglers from the upper areas of the country are not used to fishing in crystal clear water, filled with extremely skittish fish.

Never wade an area that you have not spotted from a decent/covered vantage point, and only get in the river when you are sure you are not going to be spooking fish. Once in, wade slowly and carefully. Not because the current in gonna get you, but once again to avoid spooking fish.

That's my best advise I can give - once you spot a fish (and not spook it), you have a good shot at getting some interest in the fly you are presenting to it.

Hope to meet you there ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi Dizzy,

I haven't fished the Eastern Cape streams myself, if i can add to the good advice given by Mario, Darryl and Mike. For most part the general stream approach is pretty much standard with a few differences Ito fly choice and type/size of water between streams.

A few things that might help:

- Your approach is critical, before you cast a line. See if you can spot any fish activity in a specific stretch, this will be fish rising or seeing the fish. Bear in mind that the tail of a run/pool/riffle can hold fish in very thin water. Plan how you can get as close to the fish as possible without spooking them, this might mean you have to get down on your knees, just flicking out the leader. The shallower a fish sits in the water the more limited is its view of the outside world, the closer you can get when staying low. Fish to the fish closest to you and release it downstream after being caught (don't throw it into the next pool downstream ) Also keep in mind, if conditions allow that an up and across cast/drift offers a better angle without "lining" the fish. You want the fish to see just the fly coming into its window if possible. Limit false casting and casting far, rather move closer to the intended fishing area. It's also possible to drift to wards a fish from an upstream position.

- Try and stay out of the river if possible, especially where the flow is slower and smooth, the waves you can create by wading spooks fish.

- Grease your tippet often when fishing dries on smooth surfaces.

- If a dead drift doesn't produce induce a take by lifting the rod as the fly approaches the strike zone or the fish you can see.

- Fish smaller flies (18 and smaller) on ultra light long tippets if the fish refuse other larger patterns - "go small and black if all else fails" Shorten your leader when it's windy, with the surface water being disturbed you can usually get closer to the fish.

- Speak to locals, guys like Mario who will be able to give you the best advice on local conditions.

Also read the other thread in the "Hunting Trout" forum on Stream fishing, lots of information there. By what I could gather you fish the Vaal often, which will help lots with reading water.

All the Best,

Philip

[QUOTE=FlyGuide.co.za;14845]
    Never wade an area that you have not spotted from a decent/covered vantage point, and only get in the river when you are sure you are not going to be spooking fish. Once in, wade slowly and carefully. Not because the current in gonna get you, but once again to avoid spooking fish.
    QUOTE]

In the freestone streams of the Cape, we have no choice but to spend 90% of our time in the water. Fortunately, being freestone, with it comes flow, which to a large degree discipates bow waves from causing too much of a problem. I found the slower moving EC streams to be very different in this regard. One foot placed in the water sends enough of a ripple to send the fish scurrying. I think it is the pinnacle of stream fishing in South Africa. We have it much too easy in the Cape.

My 2c
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper