Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natal Scalies - Tugela

Default Natal Scalies - Tugela

I am at last heading out to cast my cob web strewn fly tackle in the
    Spionkop Dam/Tugela River area early next month.

Can any of you give me some first hand info regarding these waters at this time of year, in particular with regard to fishing for Natal Scalies? Also any highly recommended venues in the area. I presume Sterkies will not be too great this late in the yellow fish season?
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

Dylan migh be going to Sterkies in June...why not join him?
    Gerrit Viljoen

He is coming with us, but instead of Sterkies, I am considering alternative venues.

We don't have access to a boat and I have heard that it is already a bit late for Yellows at Sterkfontein, so the thought of flogging a piece of water like that from the shore at the wrong time of year made me think of other places.
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post
    He is coming with us, but instead of Sterkies, I am considering alternative venues.

We don't have access to a boat and I have heard that it is already a bit late for Yellows at Sterkfontein, so the thought of flogging a piece of water like that from the shore at the wrong time of year made me think of other places.
    Sterkies is a waste June/July...even August mostly. Will only start fishing good again in September onwards.
    You'll get fish...but you will work HARD for them while freezing your butt off...no fun fishing like that.

I know what you mean - there is not enough OBS in the country to prevent the frost bite!! - different story if the fish are active though.

I was also considering a good trout venue in the area, if you guys can strongly recommend anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You'll get fish...but you will work HARD for them while freezing your butt off...no fun fishing like that.
    Sad to see formerly hard core fly fishermen going soft in their old aged wedded bliss
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Try Wag 'n Bietjie Trout Lodge at van Reenen. Huge trout and huge Bass.

Ja and dont forget about Swartwater dam... Just remember to take along your 9mm...!!!

Unfortunately, Wag n Bietjie is a bit far. We are travelling from Bedford in Eastern Cape and it will already take about 9 hours to Sterkies area.

If you know of anything around Winterton, Bergville, Fouriesburg, Clarens area that would be a great help

In Clarens is a lot of places, check it out in the TCFF or FF mag.
    Fouriesburg, also have some nice places, but more bass, even Ficksburg at Meulspruit dam.

The closer you get to Bergville the more trout you get. Especially next to the mountains, Cathedral Peak, Drakensberg Sun etc A lot of places.

Nice trout streams as well.

There's to many to mention in that area, especially between winterton and bergville.

Scalies I dont know exactly, but there's a lot of very nice rivers in the area with a lot of scalies.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post

If you would prefer to fish Sterkies and there are two or three guys, you can always get hold of Dennis de Klerk (Sterkies Experience). His guiding fees are reasonable and you can fish from the boat. I wouldn't suggest Sterkies in June though, once the water temperature drops below 18-19c, the fish are really deep and you can spend the whole day flogging the water with no reward.
    For Natal Scalies, it may be worth travelling an extra hour or two to try the Pongola river. June is the best time, the water is low and clear. Again if you are prepared to use a guide, get hold of Horst Filter, he knows the river and techniques for getting these difficult fish on fly backwards.
    When it comes to size, lie.... lie until you believe yourself, but lie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast