Thread: The magic of the Dry!

Booger Rose Banned User

Default The magic of the Dry!

We were out fishing a small stream made up in about 12 pools that is stocked regularly. Some huge fish swim around in this small pools and it gets very frustrating to try and catch one of these beasts - you see them but they take nothing.

After maybe hour of fishing Jasper hooked one on a very small PTN on slow retrieve but on my side stil nothing. Tried just about everything (except bow-fishing) - no takes.

I sat down for a while to try and think through my problem - well stocked, lots of fish, and then I saw a small swirl on top of the water. Just there and then I decided to go over to a dry fly and stick with it, so tied on a small #16 para Adams and crawled to within casting distance, made the cast and... nothing. Made few more casts in this pool but to no avail and went to next one. Made the cast to the head of the pool and a troot came up very slowly and with the slowest motion ever just sipped in the fly - awesome! I proceeded to take 5 fish in about half an hour with biggest in region of three pounds - might be bigger, maybe smaller - who cares. after that the fishing just died with nothing coming out for the rest of the day.

The dry fly just stays the most awesome way to catch a trout.

I'm with you on that one Booger. Congrats on working it out

Awesome stuff. most exhilarating way to catch trout. seeing the take is always rad, no matter how many times you see it!

We had a hatch on EP4 the other day and the troot took my RAB while it was still airborne. Was crazy! Dry fly fishing is awesome, but don't take any success away from nymphing, I've come right with nymphing in the toughest conditions where a dry just didn't perform. I still prefer the dry fly though! Oh and by the way the size of fish you guys are talking about, if they weren't stockies you must have been fishing close toe Koeberg

Well done Eduard.

As a matter of interest, the rod that you had in hand has taken more than 90% of its 10 000 odd trout on dry
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Well done Eduard.

As a matter of interest, the rod that you had in hand has taken more than 90% of its 10 000 odd trout on dry
    Glad it have actually taken some on nymphs as well - I felt really bad tying something on that does not float on top!

Really a great rod. I'm cutting out at least one dry cast every time, just lift it of and shoot forward. The rod loads beautiful and just feels right in the hand. It also turns the leader over way better than with my Guide Series 3wt. As i said before - It must be the rod!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post

After maybe hour of fishing Jasper hooked one on a very small PTN on slow retrieve but on my side stil nothing.

The dry fly just stays the most awesome way to catch a trout.
    so SUE me!!! ... I really enjoyed the fish (about 3lb) even if it WAS on a PTN!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    so SUE me!!! ... I really enjoyed the fish (about 3lb) even if it WAS on a PTN!
    Well, you caught one first and picked up one in damn difficult sircumstances. And the samies you made tasted lekker - won't sue you for that.

Thanks for a nice day out!

hehehehe ... thank YOU Boet - it was a perfect day in wonderful surroundings!!
    Attachment 5940
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.