Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The great Rod debate

Ya, so there.

I understand how a long rod is needed to dangle leaders in competitions, but generally, I believe that any half decent rod with a couple of lessons and some time on the water makes a great combo. Having said that, I love casting and have never found anything that comes even close to my premium home made jobs Not sure I agree about long rods on float tubes though... (ducking and running before the popcorn comes out)
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    Great post Andre
    I think its HOW then WHAT you fish
    meaning that simply owning the bling wont make you a better fisherman
    but on the other hand once you know what you are doing you may choose the bling as it has all the characteristics you like

/d
    Correct.....but again, it's not the bling I am talking about, but the rod characteristics for the application. Many guys just simply don't have the experience to be able to know what rod characteristics are needed. be it a cheap rod, or an expensive rod, there are distinct advantages to certain characteristics, like longer rod, soter tip, lightwieght construction etc. that will suit certain applications , to make a rod "ideal" .
    If we can leave brand and cost out of the discussion.I would rather have a cheapie, that is suited to the application, than an expensive rod that is designed for something else. For example, I have become so used to fishing still waters with a 10 foot rod, that I would feel that something is lacking, were i to go back to the 9 footer. Not to say it isn't going to work, but how many guys actually know why a 10 foot rod is better, and have actually taken the opportunity to do the test. The other question, is how much better is the 10 footer than the 9 footer, and can the maginal difference, justify an additional rod purchase, in the eyes of the new of innexperienced angler?
    I think it is the competition guys that are attempting to push the boundaries, and dragging the newbies into a perception that is perhaps false.

I Agree
    I personally bought a 10 ft stick on the recommendation that its the "thing to use " and hated it
    its the fist rod in all my fishing years that I sold
    I went back to a faster 9ft stick and love it
    yes the 10 ft was the expensive one and the 9ft cheaper
    but its what works for you

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Blog Entries

Hi Andre,the only thing i would add is how did you learn all about the small differences between all the rods and there applications i assume it would have been through trial and error,now, while i understand there was not forums like this when you where younger i think as you pointed out us newbies and less experienced guys get bogged down with the details when the basics have not been fully mastered ,i suppose what i am saying is the best thing for us to do is listen to the advice then go and experiment and try and find the right fit, i may buy a 10ft rod and hate it even after all the advice but at least i can say i gave it a go and have learn't through experiance and not just from advice from the forum. Hope that makes sense?? It could be an expensive experiment
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Hi Andre,the only thing i would add is how did you learn all about the small differences between all the rods and there applications i assume it would have been through trial and error,now, while i understand there was not forums like this when you where younger i think as you pointed out us newbies and less experienced guys get bogged down with the details when the basics have not been fully mastered ,i suppose what i am saying is the best thing for us to do is listen to the advice then go and experiment and try and find the right fit, i may buy a 10ft rod and hate it even after all the advice but at least i can say i gave it a go and have learn't through experiance and not just from advice from the forum. Hope that makes sense?? It could be an expensive experiment
    Hi Nick, no, it's not through trial and error, but through getting to the point, where you believe that you need to get more out of your equipment. the whole key to this, is knowing what it is you want to achieve, and why your existing setup is not giving you this. it's more an experience thing, and a knowlege of what you believe, will give you what you are looking for. remeber that us competition guys, are looking for any small advantage, and in cases where you are aware of the short commings of your equipment, it is easy to know what will solve that. trial and error can be expensive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Nick, no, it's not through trial and error, but through getting to the point, where you believe that you need to get more out of your equipment. the whole key to this, is knowing what it is you want to achieve, and why your existing setup is not giving you this. it's more an experience thing, and a knowlege of what you believe, will give you what you are looking for. remeber that us competition guys, are looking for any small advantage, and in cases where you are aware of the short commings of your equipment, it is easy to know what will solve that. trial and error can be expensive.
    Ok, i see where your coming from now,on a very small scale i remember
    when i first started FF could never see the point of 5x over 6x or 6x over 7x but once you start to fish more you begin to see the advantage and understand why and how its working,i suppose the same must apply to rods???? at this stage i would not get the subtle difference of 5# over a 6#.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Ok, i see where your coming from now,on a very small scale i remember
    when i first started FF could never see the point of 5x over 6x or 6x over 7x but once you start to fish more you begin to see the advantage and understand why and how its working,i suppose the same must apply to rods???? at this stage i would not get the subtle difference of 5# over a 6#.
    hey, you're getting the picture. perhaps the most marked difference between a 5wt and a 6wt, is the ability of the 6wt to adequately cast a team of 3 weighted nymphs, spaced a meter apart. Try this with a 5wt, and you will surely notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    So, to all the newbies and innexperienced guys, having feelings if "inadequacy with your tackle", remeber that you don't need the "ideal", rod, just one that works.
    Although I am not a newbie or inexperienced at FF, rather competent but not proficient, your comments struck a chord with me. I think they are as applicable to us who can be described as middle of the road competent. For a long time I would try glean as much information as I could about the technical aspects of equipment and their respective advantages or disadvantages. However I don't have the finesse or experience to get the most out of some of the more expensive brand name rods I bought, much less manage to exploit the charateristics,e.g. softer tip. Over time I have discovered that the most important factor, for someone of my level of FF competence is having confidence in the rod. Any number of books and articles by a variety of experts refer to the advantage one gets when fishing a pattern in which you have confidence, even if it is not the best fly for the conditions. I think the same applies to rods. I have an old Stealth 6/7 which always delivers results for me on the Vaal, even though it does not cast as well or have the feel of the two more expensive premier brand 5 & 6 weights that are currently collecting dust in the garage.
    When it comes to size, lie.... lie until you believe yourself, but lie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12