Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 or 14wt?

Default 12 or 14wt?

Having bought a 10wt rod last year to cast big bass bugs and barbel flies,I now want something a bit heavier as the 10wt struggles a bit with the likes of 5/0 longshanks and 8/0 bandit octopus hooks when I need to cast the occasional longline.I also want a bit more turning and holding power.Is a 12wt sufficient or is it worthwhile stepping up to a 14wt?

Hi

Having experienced both - I'd go with a 12wt. A 12wt will handle really big stuff. A 14wt is a mission to cast and only really suited to regular bluewater hunting of really big stuff like sailies, tuna, dogtooth tuna and the like. Even if you are after the odd bluewater fish now and then, I'd still go with a 12wt for that.

I have only ever fished with 2 people that actually own 14wt rods - Arno Matthee and Andrew Parsons. Both guide for a living (Seychelles and Mozambique, mostly) and even these guys don't use the 14wt on a regular basis. IMHO if you are going to require a 14wt less than a pro guide, rather go with a 12wt.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Last edited by jean.struweg; 17-05-09 at 04:30 PM.

Patrick,

I managed fine with a 5wt at Darlington dam- you don't need THAT much power to turn a barbel. Sure, it wasn't great for casting big flies, but a 10wt should be sufficient. What kind of fight are you going to get from a bass on a 14wt?

What are you planning to fish for around Grahamstown with a 14Wt? Unless you've got plans to go out for tuna I suppose...

Cheers!

Clarias, you obviously haven't seen the denizens of the deep that lurk in "Kotch Creek" under the bridge between Jan Smuts and Athies...!!!!

Maybe even a 14wt won't cut it....
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

haha, I'm in Smuts! I've only seen some radioactive platannas and supersized crabs there, as well as the occasional bluegill and small bass...

Smallstream nymphing for oversized platannas with a 14WT!

How do you know your way so well around Rhodes? I thought you said you studied at UCT?

most 14 weights are not designed to cast but rather as lifting sticks
    id go for a 12weight

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Thanks guys for the advice,yes clarias the 10wt is more than enough power for barbel as is the 12wt for Darlington's minute "monsters",however the barbel above Augrabies Falls are a different kettle of fish and believe me you'll need every ounce of power a 12wt can offer when fighting one of those 10kg+ monsters.The 12wt is also a nice tool in the surf which will be it's main purpose but you've guessed correctly that I'll probably use it at Darlington.I certianly will not use the 12wt for bass,Martin frowns at the thought of the use of my 10wt not to mention the mere comment I made to him about taking the 10wt to Thrift.I don't intend hurting myself casting a 12wt all day for bass,the 10wt is heavy enough.
    Last edited by Halfstone; 18-05-09 at 09:50 AM.

Your 10wt should be able to cast most flies worth fishing. How about rather investing in a casting lesson / experimenting with different line setups - e.g. shooting heads?
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Quote Originally Posted by Halfstone View Post
    ... you'll need every ounce of power a 12wt can offer when fighting one of those 10kg+ monsters.
    10WT is overkill for anything under 20Kgs, I've taken +18Kgs on the 10WT, wasn't a fight really, basically just dragging the fish around at will, by the lip, to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfstone View Post
    ... the 10wt is heavy enough.
    Jiffe you must be targetting the largest bass in South Africa then.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Talking

Mmm, I see your 17kg cat grew overnight to 18kg!!!!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast