Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kent's Baby Rainbow....?

Default Kent's Baby Rainbow....?

Anyone have a decent picture - and pattern - for the fly "Kent's Baby Rainbow"?

Hairy Fairy Flies used to have them, but I haven't seen them for ages, so thought I'd give it a go tying myself.

TIA.
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post

Hairy Fairy Flies used to have them, but I haven't seen them for ages, so thought I'd give it a go tying myself.

TIA.
    Hi Jan just spent 15 minutes trying to find this fly on line and no luck,does it go by any other name by any chance???
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post

TIA.
    HI JAN,

E-mail Michael Petersen, he'll assist you.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I've still got several of the moth-eaten originals - but don't ask me to send them by digital camera!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Marabou tail, with an epoxied body painted like an adult, not a fry rainbow? Have had one of these flies before, didn't work for me...

With all due respect to Barry the originator also to his creativity, in my opinion they were not-so-good-imitations of fish fry emanating from the 'New English Reservoir Era' style of fishing in the late 60s/early 70s. Rainbow fry, as you would know Clarias, don't resemble 10kg 'bows under a microscope, and in any event fish move a bit more wiggly and are not no rigid. But a fair go for the innovation and lateral thinking when at the time most other guys thinking (rather lack of it...) was 'Walkers Killers or bust'
    Last edited by chris williams; 19-05-09 at 08:47 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Jan - if its the marabou tail and epoxy body you can buy them from Reins in town if he still has some, he did last year.

Remember that bus that one of the guys in our team caught 2 years ago - about 3.2kgs, that was on one of those. I bought a few this weekend.

if it's a different fly then I have no idea.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Jan - if its the marabou tail and epoxy body you can buy them from Reins in town if he still has some, he did last year.

Remember that bus that one of the guys in our team caught 2 years ago - about 3.2kgs, that was on one of those. I bought a few this weekend.

if it's a different fly then I have no idea.
    I have no idea what this fly looks like as i can just about tie my own shoelaces let alone tie flies,but from the description above is this close.

http://www.fishbc.com/adventure/angl...y/minnow.phtml
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Thanks for the reply guys...

In order:

1) Nicholas - also can't find any info on the web, closest thing is this one called a "Marvin":

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern6611.html

2) Dave - you got Michael's email? HF don't seem to have a website, and I while I found an email (@intekom...) dunno if it's valid.

3) Chris - waddaya mean you have a digital camera and can't work it??

4) Clarias - see Byron's comment, they seem to work here!

5) Chris - see Byron's comment, they seem to work here!

6) Byron - I was in Raynes' shop yesterday, will go look again, must have missed the buggers! Wildfly have some, but they are not the right colours....

7) Nicholas - good idea that one, again similar to the "Marivin" using the mallard flank across the top.

Thanks again guys!
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Yeah a lot of the big still waters in Natal have baby bass in them or some or other minnow (don't know what brand it is). You often see the minnows swimming on the surface. I reckon that is why these patterns deliver the goods.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast