Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Water Mongoose

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Gestreepte muishond.
    Stink muishond.
    Striped polecat
    Ictonyx striatus.

Why'd you post a pic of the polecat? I've got some of that courtesy of a roadkill victim and it's pretty awesome but its quite different to the water mongoose
    Check your knots!

Exclamation

Wishwisperer, did you get that mongoose in the Cape? I'm just being pedantic, but that looks like a Small Grey Mongoose, the dwarf is a gregarious species that lives in anthills in the Limpopo lowveld.

Redhumpy, one sees quite a lot of polecats run over on the roads in the karoo, are they any good for tying?

Guys, all this talk of small carnivores warrants an important warning: RABIES.

This virus is rife in Africa, and is harboured by many small carnivores, especially yellow mongoose in the Eastern Cape, and also has a high precedence in Suricate/Meerkat colonies.
    Remember that the virus can spread from freshly dead animals, through cuts in the skin and through contact with the eyes and mouth. There's often a reason why animals get hit by cars...and its not cos they're stupid.

So be cautious...!

Quote Originally Posted by clarias View Post
    Wishwisperer, did you get that mongoose in the Cape? I'm just being pedantic, but that looks like a Small Grey Mongoose, the dwarf is a gregarious species that lives in anthills in the Limpopo lowveld.
    Yeah, we got it at the berg river dam here in the cape. Must be a grey one then.
    Guys, all this talk of small carnivores warrants an important warning: RABIES.

This virus is rife in Africa, and is harboured by many small carnivores, especially yellow mongoose in the Eastern Cape, and also has a high precedence in Suricate/Meerkat colonies.
    Remember that the virus can spread from freshly dead animals, through cuts in the skin and through contact with the eyes and mouth. There's often a reason why animals get hit by cars...and its not cos they're stupid.

So be cautious...!
    Good point, apparantly a bit of time in the microvawe sorts that all out??
    Found this somewhere a while back:
    Roadkill.doc
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

That's an informative article for anyone who wants to prepare their own materials!

Rabies (and most viruses) disappear shortly after death, so its mostly alive and dying/freshly dead animals one has to watch out for.

Apparently Meerkat and Yellow Mongoose should be considered infected for safety, as these animals have high incidenses, and resistance to, the disease.

I guess as most of us don't tie from feral dogs, most of us are safe from Rabies!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Thanks for all the various information guys!

Take it no one has any though?
    No, but I will be posting a pic of some Muskrat belly later on, looks to be very similar to the Water Mongoose .... Have a look later on.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Take it no one has any though?
    So we still looking then...?
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

That's an informative article for anyone who wants to prepare their own materials!

Rabies (and most viruses) disappear shortly after death, so its mostly alive and dying/freshly dead animals one has to watch out for.

Apparently Meerkat and Yellow Mongoose should be considered infected for safety, as these animals have high incidenses, and resistance to, the disease.

I guess as most of us don't tie from feral dogs, most of us are safe from Rabies!
    Woof, woof!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234