Thread: Tanzania

Default Tanzania

HI Guys,

I am working in Tanzania on a contract and might have a week off shortly. Any ideas on where to fish without spending the budget. I have looked at Kilwa or Pemba/Zanzibar for saltwater but would prefer a place to fish for tigers. Any suggestions or contacts that might help ?

Hi there Arno

Can't help you with the Tigers but have fished the salt a few times.

Best fishing is off Latham Island. Got to get there first but once there, get onto the beach and fish the gullies for loads of action. Don't be shy to throw a heavy stick. Lots of good GT's and allsorts.

South point of Pemba is very good on a spring low. There is a very long reef with good deep water tight up against the reef. Loads of Bluefin and Jobfish but I suspect that we were just unlucky not to get any bigger GT's or even some pelagics.

North point of Mafia. This is more a boat fishing area but it holds large numbers of GT's and Jobfish close in to the point and good pelagics just offshore.

Awesome destination but can be somewhat costly.

Good luck with the Tigers.
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by arnopienaar View Post
    HI Guys,

I am working in Tanzania on a contract and might have a week off shortly. Any ideas on where to fish without spending the budget. I have looked at Kilwa or Pemba/Zanzibar for saltwater but would prefer a place to fish for tigers. Any suggestions or contacts that might help ?
    The rufiji river is reportedly one of the best river spots for Tiger in Africa! I've got friends who live there and there have also been a few articles in the TCFF. Climb on google and search for "rufiji" and "rafiki"
    Check your knots!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. My gear might be a bit light for the seafishing (offshore) and think I will rather try the tiger fishing. If I have time i'll try for one of the islands but only from the beach.

I got this from a guy in Tanzania,

"Try going to the Mbega camp, I am hoping to go down soon myself. www.selous-mbega-camp.com/

Tell them that I sent you. they have boats and it is not very far from Dar on the Rufiji.

Alternatively head to the Ruaha River where it flows through the Kilombero sugar plantations. You go through Mikumi and turn south on the Ifakara Road. Both places are easy to get to and not in protected areas so no big fees. Further down the road is the Kilombero River where some have tried but it’s a bit fished out by the locals.

Be very careful of crocks; don't go within 1m of the water! They are very aggressive in these rivers.

Let me know how you get along."

Philip Ashby
    P.O.Box 800
    Usa River
    Tanzania

Mobile: +255 784 9020(Philip) +255 784 770190 (Sara)

E-mail:
    safarizanj@gmail.com

Web:
    http://www.SafariZanj.com/
    http://www.TanzanianTigerFishing.com/
    http://www.PhilipAshbyHunting.com/