Thread: okuma airframe

Default okuma airframe

hi anybody give infomation about this reel e.g is it good or bad, where can I get it, line capacity etc. Any help will be appreciated

They are actually surprising good with a smooth drag but their capacity is poor, I wouldn't try putting anything bigger than a 7wt on the 7/9 model and nothing bigger than a 5wt on the 4/6 model.

They're especially good for slapping onto one of your freshwater rods and fishing gullies (saltwater) without spending much cash.

If you want anything more than say 40yds of 20lb backing on these reels, you're going to have to use gelspun
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

For the price this is a very nice beginner reel.I i fact still use it for my catfish fishing and it has given me no problems in the 5 years i have had it.I believe any fishing shop will stock them.The only thing I sometimes find is that the line gets trapped in between the reel and drag set knob,otherwise no other problems.

I have an old okuma that I picked up at a second hand sport shop a few years back and have since thrown it into the back of the cupboard cause the drag, drags both ways! The tighter you tighen the drag, the tighter it is to reel in as well. Had a look around the net to see which reel you guys were refering to and its the same one. In this review though, it says that it is not supposed to do that. Ive tried to fixit before but never managed. Has anyone ever had that problem before, and if so, how how did you fix it??
    http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4613
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Fish, If you have an okuma airframe, they have a one way clutch bearing which sounds like it's not releasing. The bearing allows free movement in one direction but clamps down onto the main spindle in the other direction, the spindles rotation is governed by the drag setting.

To change the direction of the reel from right to left or visa versa, you take out bearing and flip it over so the direction of the clutch changes.

To get to the bearing, if I remember correctly you have to unscrew the cap over the spindle on the spool, take out the bearing and see if you can free it up, oil it etc.
    Last edited by Gael; 01-06-09 at 07:06 PM.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

May have no need to lie.
    Amen

The bearing is part 9101 in the reel schematics

May have no need to lie.
    Amen

I have a couple of Okuma reels, not airframes, and they are great "never say die" pieces of equipment. They have lasted forever and don't require much maintenance.

They are very robust.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re