Thread: Bass in the rain

Default Bass in the rain

(Just thought I would restart this thread in the Freshwater forum)

I googled "bass in the rain" and amoung some really weird stuff that had nuthin to do about fishing, I got this link: Bass in the rain

It sounds like rainy conditions are actually favourable for catching larger bass because they will move further to attack prey than they would on hot sunny days. It's an interesting read and makes me more enthusiastic about tomorrow.
    Last edited by gkieser; 09-02-07 at 09:14 PM.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Oh ja. Just from some of the other google results from that search, it is agreed by most sites that if you own a bass, you should never play it in the rain.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Reading more, It looks like rain brings the hogs out of the depths into the upper levels which sounds promising. A lot of opinions state that this is a very good time to use surface lures and poppers. I guess the same would be applied to fly fishing. They also increase the size of their lures and put on brighter colours.

I am actually starting to look forward to getting solidly drenched tomorrow..

Lets see if these spinner dudes have anything we can apply!

Hi Grant,

Chance of you having a good day's fishing tommorrow is very good.

While living on the farm I just loved this type of weather and at the end would cherish the odd overcast or rainy day during summer. One specific Sunday I caught 6 bass over 1.5kg. in as many casts, all on olive woolhead mullets. I called my fishing buddy David while he was having his Sunday sit down with the family and told him to get his ass over to Wiesenhof at the soonest, since I just had to share this frenzy with someone. Unfortunately he couldn't make it.

Focus on the margins of drop offs, weed beds and structure with surface bugs and sliders. The BIG boys are out on the prowl under the cover of rain and clouds. I'm sure they feel more secure and the increased oxygen levels due to the rain kick starts their metabolisms.

Enjoy and let us know.

Excellent! Thanks Philip.

Hi Grant

I am reading Lefty Krey's book Presenting the Fly. In his opinion the best time to fish for Bass and other fish is on overcast days. He recons the fish are less spooky in over cast conditions.

What was the score ? Did not see anything under the Catch returns.

Ja i got 1 Largmouth bass that was about 2lbs and a few others a lot smaller. It's the biggest bass I have caught at wiesenhof, but did not get a photo.

Matt killed the babies on smaller Woolley buggers but i refused to put a smaller fly on. I wanted the big boys but couldn't find any more besides that one that I got..

I dont know about the whole bass in the rain thing anymore
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho