Thread: Tactics in cold overcast weather

0266395 Banned User

Default Tactics in cold overcast weather

I will be in the Dullstroom area looking for trout this week. The weather forecast says it will be cold and overcast for almost the whole week. What tactics might work? It is not an option to postpone the visit.
    Herman

Booger Rose Banned User

I fished in the most terrible weather on Wednesday and Thursday - wind howling and rain pelting down - but trout everywhere and very willing to take a fly. Fished the same venue this morning in lekker weather, just a faint breeze and no rain - did not even get a touch to the fly. At the moment I'm waiting for the k@kest weather to go and fish again.

Dont mind the weather to much, just go out and fish whenever you you get the chance.

0266395 Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    I fished in the most terrible weather on Wednesday and Thursday - wind howling and rain pelting down - but trout everywhere and very willing to take a fly. Fished the same venue this morning in lekker weather, just a faint breeze and no rain - did not even get a touch to the fly. At the moment I'm waiting for the k@kest weather to go and fish again.

Dont mind the weather to much, just go out and fish whenever you you get the chance.
    You made me feel much better! I trust the fish will do likewise.
    Herman

Hi Herman,

I think the overcast weather gives the fish a bit of a sense of security and you might find them closer to the surface in bad weather. If the wind is blowing i would be even more confident that they are in the top few feet of water because the waves add to the security (they are not as visible from predators above the surface) and at the same time the waves make the top few feet very oxygen rich. On sunny calm days my experience has been that the fish will more than likely be deeper for protection and will come to the surface to feed in the early morning and late afternoon when the sun is softer.

So the fishing could be tough if you are fishing fast sinking lines, and if so, try a floater or intermediate and you might get more success.

Having said all that, these dam fish have been known to defy the norm so anything could happen, but i think the fishing should be fine in the bad conditions that you will have.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

0266395 Banned User

Default Tactics in cold, overcast weather

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Hi Herman,

I think the overcast weather gives the fish a bit of a sense of security and you might find them closer to the surface in bad weather. If the wind is blowing i would be even more confident that they are in the top few feet of water because the waves add to the security (they are not as visible from predators above the surface) and at the same time the waves make the top few feet very oxygen rich. On sunny calm days my experience has been that the fish will more than likely be deeper for protection and will come to the surface to feed in the early morning and late afternoon when the sun is softer.

So the fishing could be tough if you are fishing fast sinking lines, and if so, try a floater or intermediate and you might get more success.

Having said all that, these dam fish have been known to defy the norm so anything could happen, but i think the fishing should be fine in the bad conditions that you will have.
    Thanks for good info. I will report back.
    Herman

Hi Herman,

I was fishing in Dullstroom on the weekend and all that really worked were orangie flies (eggs, zonkers etc.) on a intermediate line fished very slow.

I also always try a dry fly in windy conditions by casting into the wind and letting it drift towards me. I had a few takes on DDD's but I missed them.

It was also very windy and freakin cold.

a long burning wood fire, red wine, and best friends for company

Just kidding. We're also heading up to Watervalboven next week and if the weather is bad I'll most probably make use of the same tactics.

Thanks for the info guys
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Hi all, in my experiance( limited as it may be ) brownies in still water seem to particularly fond of the fowlest mother nature can throw at us so if there are brownies arround dont fret. However bows seem to be less responsive straight after a sudden change, but will still feed well after a sustained patch of bad weather. If the weather turns on you sudenly, and your hits dry up, it may be worth going down and dead slow. my fav would be a yo-yo ie 3 or 3 fly cast with a booby on the point reverse suspending 1 or 2 small nymphs just off the bottom. try it some time, maybe im nuts, maybe not.

When the weather is in the process of turning from good to bad, the barometer is busy droppng. This may make the fishing tough. By the time the rain starts, the baromerer has stabalised, and the fish are hungry from the dropping pressure lay off. You will probably find the best fishing at the end of the rain, when the sun is begginning to peep intermittently through the clouds. My advice is to take a barometer with you, and get onto the water when the brometer has been stable for an hour or so. It is the dropping pressure that they don't like.