Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pike on the fly

Default Pike on the fly

Another quick update from Ireland. I managed to head out west recently to try my hand fly fishing for pike during a run of good weather, which turned out to be just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on

As we tackled up i had my doubts about casting these monsters on a 9wt. Next time a 10 wt might be in order ... go big or go home is the catch phrase for pike flies:

fortunately i was into a fish before i got too tired casting the monster flies:

These fish are immensely powerful, and although they do not make long runs you have to feel the raw power to believe it! I got a line burn i will not fforget in a hurry before bringing the fish to the surface:

Although not a huge fish i was happy to get mike the pike on the boat for a pic before a quick release:

I also lost a monster i hooked on a popper when the leader snapped, as i mentioned you have to experience the raw power of a large pike to believe it ... i will definately be back for more of this action. awesome is the word

nothing wrong with that...well done
    popper action must of been exciting
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Very nice fish, and their colours...
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Booger Rose Banned User

Beautiful fish! I take it these toothy critters are agresive? Comparable to a Tigerfish or more closely related to troot?

I would not easily compare it to either, maybe tiger for the teeth but then Pike has some impressive tooth structure inside its mouth, but there it ends.

Photos do not do pike justice, their colours are very vivid ranging from olives to firey orange.

Agressive as hell, and an awesome strong take, and a strange fight. Does not fight as fast as tiger or trout, but very strong.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Beautiful fish! I take it these toothy critters are agresive? Comparable to a Tigerfish or more closely related to troot?
    Yes they are super aggressive and hit the fly hard. Not really like troot or tiger fish per se, in terms of characteristics i'd say they are like a cross between a large mouth bass and a tiger fish. They are typically structure orientated and the technique is to move along the reed margins and cast you fly just into the weeds and strip out carefully so to avoid catching on the flora. Once hooked its lots of short explosive/powerful runs.

Takes from these fish on popper are quite something! I nearly crapped in my pants on the first one … especially since the fishing had been slow for a while. Actually it was quite funny - when i tied on a popper the Irish guy's looked at me like I had a third eye. Thought i was a complete nutter ... until they saw the take
    Last edited by firephish; 08-06-09 at 03:38 PM.

very nice fish - which water in Eire did you fish?
    "Is that the new G.Loomis??? Wow! How much is that??

Oh, look, the new Stealth......."

Quote Originally Posted by delboy View Post
    very nice fish - which water in Eire did you fish?

Thanks, not a monster but fun none the less. Its a small nameless lough in Roscommon.

Awesome! I'm very jealous

I've seen some fantastic clips of ho these beasts hit surface flies and poppers

Just as a said question, have you considered maybe using a boga as opposed to putting your fingers into the gills ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Awesome! I'm very jealous

Just as a said question, have you considered maybe using a boga as opposed to putting your fingers into the gills ?
    Awesome is the word

I must say I don't like boga's on heavy bodied fish ... but that is a debate for another time. For the record, my fingers are not in the gills - as you slide your fingers under a pikes chin there is a firm piece of skin you can hook your finger under. This is considered the safest way to handle pike by many pike experts so i did likewise. The safety of the fish is one of my first concerns before deciding to photograph

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast