Thread: Where to fish

Default Where to fish

hi guys,

So i have just recently gotten an inflatable boat and am planning a trip to the Vaal for sunday the 21st.
    Which Venue would be suggested for my first winter trip and only my 2nd fishing trip to the Vaal. I know of YFP, Strome(dont know rates, Facilities etc), and fished in summer at eindekuil but thats a bit pricey for the moment.
    So all those of you that know the venues your advice will be really helpfull.

cheers
    Andrew

YFP is R20 and a very easy launch of the boat; also an easy row [so Herman tells me] to the top rapids.

Hi All,

A friend and I are planning on making a trip to the Vaal from JHB on Monday for a try at some Yellows.

Can anyone suggest day visitor locations, we will only be able to wade this trip as we do not have any form of flotation at the moment and we are very new to fishing for Yellows.

Thanks in advance.
    Desmond

You're going to battle ...

Flows are up to ~40m^3.s-1 and the viz is down ... you're going to battle to find wadeable venues where you will get close enough to the deeper water where the fish will still be hanging out.

My suggestion would be GVP or Silverstrome, wade to where the water gets deep or where you can get close to deep water, check for the usual signs of feeding, present your fly.

Good luck.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Thanks for the feedback, will see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorG View Post
    Hi All,

A friend and I are planning on making a trip to the Vaal from JHB on Monday for a try at some Yellows.

Can anyone suggest day visitor locations, we will only be able to wade this trip as we do not have any form of flotation at the moment and we are very new to fishing for Yellows.

Thanks in advance.
    Desmond
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    You're going to battle ...

Flows are up to ~40m^3.s-1 and the viz is down ... you're going to battle to find wadeable venues where you will get close enough to the deeper water where the fish will still be hanging out.

My suggestion would be GVP or Silverstrome, wade to where the water gets deep or where you can get close to deep water, check for the usual signs of feeding, present your fly.

Good luck.
    SCythe is quite correct. Even with the flows dropping the vis will be less than desirable.
    From your post I would gather that yellows are a fairly new specie for you.
    To be brutally honest, this is NOT the time for go out for yellows if you haven't gone for them before.
    As far as venues are concerned, GVP is a no no for a new wader, and is difficult for experienced waders who know the venue.

If I was you I would head down to Potch, Elgro River Lodge, book first and hire their resident guide for the day. Yes it will cost more than anticipated, but I'm sure that you would like the trip to be pleasurable, rather than miserable.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659