View Poll Results: What is the best light-weight rod for 'small' SA streams: weight / length combo?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3wt

105 81.40%
  • 4wt

12 9.30%
  • 6'6"

5 3.88%
  • 7'

6 4.65%
  • 7'6"

32 24.81%
  • 8'

28 21.71%
  • 8'6"

24 18.60%
  • 9'

17 13.18%
  • 9'6"

2 1.55%
  • 10'

8 6.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 'All-round' 'small' streams rod - length / weight ?

Default Best 'All-round' 'small' streams rod - length / weight ?

After my Cape trip with Herman I decided I need to have a light outfit in my arsenal - will probably not be used much, but at least I will have it the once or twice a year an opportunity do arise.

I am planning on getting this end July.

So, after much reading and discussion with numerous ff folk, it seems that the most votes for a general 'all-round' lightweight outfit for typical SA streams goes to ... :

3wt - 7' 6"

Any comments from the stream experts?
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

I've got 2 3wt's in my arsenal en both are 8 foot 4 and 8 foot 9 respectively. I have the 2 wt 6 foot 6. My preference would be the length inbetween the 7 foot 6 3wt. I've played with a 3wt 7 foot 9 and loved the length.

My 2c

Quote Originally Posted by Cammo View Post
    I've got 2 3wt's in my arsenal en both are 8 foot 4 and 8 foot 9 respectively. I have the 2 wt 6 foot 6. My preference would be the length inbetween the 7 foot 6 3wt. I've played with a 3wt 7 foot 9 and loved the length.

My 2c
    Hmmm, so with a bit of maths and if 'n 'round' [like the financial dudes do] then you are saying your money would be on a 3wt 8" ?

I have seen that the 'standard' rod lengths vary greatly depending on which manufacturers catalogue you are looking at.

Which brands are your 8'4" and 8'9" if I may ask? Feel free to PM if you don't wanna mention it in open forum - I know rod lengths can be a sensitive issue
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

3wt 8ft should allow you to cover most waters. Enough length for some high sticking and still short enough for brushed up areas
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    3wt 8ft should allow you to cover most waters. Enough length for some high sticking and still short enough for brushed up areas
    Yup, a 3wt 8 foot should serve you fine. There are of course exceptions to every rule.
    In the 3 wt , I prefer to go longer. My go to rod is a 9ft 3 wt, but also like the 10 foor 3wt.
    For the lighter 2 wt, i go for the 7 foot 6 and 8 foot range. the 3 wt is definatly better for deeper nymphing with 2 flies, and the 2 wt is better for dry and dropper, and single fly allplications.
    My suggestion is that if you are not planning on doing much nymphing, and 2 fly techniques, perhaps you should consider a 2 wt.

6. Default

What about a 2 weight as an option in the poll? I would have selected that option....
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

For dry fly fishing, I have gravitated towards a medium actioned 2# 7'6, and I love it! For close fishing, super quick loading and general one flick to target applications, there is very little to beat it.....well for me anyway.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

The nicest rod I have tried is (Andre's) 10' 3WT Greys ... responsive, light, accurate

But then again I know very little about small stream FF
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

I voted 3wt 8ft, as most of my stream fishing is up country and I dont get that much opportunity to fish small very technical streams or beats so consider wher you'll be doing the bulk of your fishing and which techniques you prefer as Andre and others have mentioned.
    Check your knots!

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    Hmmm, so with a bit of maths and if 'n 'round' [like the financial dudes do] then you are saying your money would be on a 3wt 8" ?
    For fishing the Cape streams once in a while, this combo is perfect.

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast