Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Witte River - Info needed

Default Witte River furrow

Hi MC

I very recently came across this post of yours when searching for info on the furrow extracting water from the Witte river. I fished the Witte river recently (beat 4) which had very good flow below the extraction point. On my way back I crossed the furrow and noticed that there wasn't really any water flowing through it. Has there been any development in the flow diversion situation since your initial post that resulted in better flow regulations? Or do they still cut off all flow to the Witte river during the dry summer months?

Morgan

Morgan, was the metal sluice gate in place? Normally in high water you get water down both the river and Pombers furrow. In low water conditions, the weir is angled to take most of the water down the furrow leaving the river below it practically dry besides the pools.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Darryl
    I did not have a close look at the sluice gate.
    Will take a closer look a it next time i'm up there.
    It is unbelievable that the total flow can be diverted to the furrow during summer
    and surely in contravention of the water act.
    Do you know if this matter has be reported/taken up with DWA or DEA?

Was there ever any development in this regard? I.e. re farmer entitlement to water, maximum annual allowable usage, sluice maintenance etc?
    It would be interesting to know. What is CNC's stance these days? They should be championing this issue- the lower Witte redfins have suffered after all...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

This has been going on for years. Its an on going saga. I think something was done several years ago.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    Darryl
    I did not have a close look at the sluice gate.
    Will take a closer look a it next time i'm up there.
    It is unbelievable that the total flow can be diverted to the furrow during summer
    and surely in contravention of the water act.
    Do you know if this matter has be reported/taken up with DWA or DEA?
    As far as I remember it was taken up with CN and possibly DWA. CN don't care and as far as I am aware DWA wanted to dam the top end of the Witte - although this has been shelved for the time being. MC can maybe comment further.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12