Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: In search of a salt water reel.....

Default In search of a salt water reel.....

Hi guys,as before this has probly been discussed on previous threads.but this one is on the first page where we all can see it.

Im looking for a new reel for my salt water outfit,i fish a 9 weight guide and the spare is a 10 weight.I have been eyeing out the tide reels,cost about R1500.But then you need 2 spare spools etc,ends up costing R3000.My budget is abit tight at the moment.But thats the sort of price range im looking at.

Any recomendations??Pierre i know you fish a stealth bluewater.Im very impressed with the capacity-250yards of 30 pound.How do you find the reel???
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Cool

I use a TFO 375. Capacity 250 yards/20lbs - WF8F. Model 425 275yards/30lbs - WF10F. It's low maintenance and tough as hell. I've been considering the Silvercreek reels as a backup. They really look impressive. Don't come with spare spools though.
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 13-02-07 at 09:44 AM.

Buzz

Buzz my man the mighty FIGJAM will say....Get divorced sell everything and invest in the ultimate reel,.....ABLE

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Buzz

Buzz my man the mighty FIGJAM will say....Get divorced sell everything and invest in the ultimate reel,.....ABLE
    I am unABLE to afford it even if I do as you say

PS !! I thought it was ABEL

At R5500 for an Abel, I think it could be the quickest divorce ever!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Have a look at these. www.nautilusreels.com
    Half the price of an Able, and twice as sexy imho. Also made in the good old USA.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    At R5500 for an Abel, I think it could be the quickest divorce ever!

Then I'd have a reel, no rod, no line, no flies, no car , no wife and support payments as a value added extra. (And I don't want to hear that it would be worth it)

Have a look at these. www.nautilusreels.com
    Half the price of an Able, and twice as sexy imho. Also made in the good old USA.
    Chris, I don't think the saltwater Nautilus reels are all they are cracked up to be. I have the freshwater version for one of my 5wt rigs and its really great, but I have heard from quite a few people that have experienced a failure on the saltwater ones. Also not cheap, there is an No 8 Nautilus sitting in my local tackleshop for over R4k.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Chris, I don't think the saltwater Nautilus reels are all they are cracked up to be. I have the freshwater version for one of my 5wt rigs and its really great, but I have heard from quite a few people that have experienced a failure on the saltwater ones. Also not cheap, there is an No 8 Nautilus sitting in my local tackleshop for over R4k.
    Hi Shaun. Having just purchased a No7, I would be keen to hear what the failing was. What I really like about the reel is that it is so light, ( balances perfectly with my 3 and 1/8oz Sage RPL 790) and I really like the titanium finish. It has a silky smooth drag and it looks like it means business.

Hi Shaun. Having just purchased a No7, I would be keen to hear what the failing was. What I really like about the reel is that it is so light, ( balances perfectly with my 3 and 1/8oz Sage RPL 790) and I really like the titanium finish. It has a silky smooth drag and it looks like it means business.
    Chris, all the failures I have heard about have been drag related, fighting big strong fish and fishing in ways that place a lot of strain on the drag, like fishing the Seychelles for GT's etc. It seems that the drags just do not cope very well, where the Abels and Shiltons seem to perform flawlessly.

I agree with you, I love my Nautilus. Absolutely beautiful reel and very light. I take mine black please !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast