Thread: Malachite 3pce 5wt rod

Default Malachite 3pce 5wt rod

Hi Guys

I received a Kingfisher Malachite 3pce 8,6ft 5wt rod as a present yesterday. Does anyone else own one? I haven't had the opportunity to cast it yet, but the finishing on it looks really good. Any comments on this rod? I wonder how it compares with the Explorer Guide series. Apparently the Malachite series retail around R1000.

i fished with a Kingfisher 4/5wt rod YEEEAAARRSS back, but i found it quite nice (ok, it wasn't mine, but i fished with it for a few days). i don't know what the model was, though, sorry.
    the patient mental...

Yeah a bought one, fished it once and the reel seat pulled out. So I sent it back and got something else. Besides the fact that the reel seat pulled out, it fished ok, it was a bit slow actioned in my opinion.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I have a 6/7 and an 8/9 weight. Both are great for the money. I use the 6/7 mainly for bass, and it throws a line very nicely. It is not ultra fast, but it is by no means slow.

They are the limp dicks of the rod world ... having said that ... they're good starter rods and I still have my Malachite Gold 8WT which I got when I started flyfishing.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

hi stef
    i have a 5/6 weight 2 piece malachite gold class and have been fishing it for the last 5 years. have had no problems. i use it primarily for bass and it has enough backbone. in fact it was my brothers before so it's been used quite a bit. look it's not the same as my 4wt g loomis, but if i could afford more of those i would. on a 5wt every cast does not have to be a full line. i think you'll have a lot of fun with it.
    cheers

Hi,

I have 3 Malachite Fly rods & I'm pretty happy with them. I think for the price you cannot go wrong.

later
    Francois