Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Are we missing out ?

Default Are we missing out ?

A qoute from an recent article:

"....author and un-repentant Trout Bum ,John Gierach , notes that if an equal-size smallmouth bass and brook trout were tied tail to tail ,the smallie would drag the brookie from one end of the continent to the other and back without pausing for air.

Smallmouth bass are simply inch-for-inch better,nastier gustier battlers than their colder stream dwelling buddies , and as they feed identically on mayflies ,caddisflies,crayfish, terrestrials and other aquatic taste treats, these smallmouth bass are , to paraphrase one of their ravanous promoters and Northville fly shop owner, John Bueter , "warm-water trout". ...."

Fishing Adventures Banned User

Smallies are great fun

Howzit, Herman and all others I have missed talking to!
    It's been such a long time since my last post, a whole season, I think, that I feel I should re-introduce myself, and I might do so soon.. and if it's all the same to you guys, I think I'll make my visits a regular thing again from now on.

But first, I have to say that I don't agree with Mr. Gierach. The smallie will rip the trout's tail off in a cloud of scales before he can move two inches, nevermind the other side of the continent. That is if he doesn't break the rope first, which is something I happen to know they do better than most fish. I have to add that I do respect and enjoy the fight of a trout very much, and I don't think their anything to laugh at, it's just that smallies, oh man, I just LOVE them! Those who look down on these fishies, are certainly missing out big time!

Keep well guys!
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

definately a species i want to target abit more this summer...welcome back leroy.nice to have u on board again.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Cheers, Mr. Smith!

Come join me in the GR, and I'll grant your wish and take you to "location X".
    Lotsa beaut smallies there!
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Howzit Leroy,

That's the reason why I travel across the country for my flyfishing trips.

cheers
    Herman

I know, you have your priorities nicely sorted out! I just wish there were
    more folks out there who would like to put an end to the inconsiderate, meaningless and unjustified abuse that gets heaped on this fish's poor innocent (okay, maybe innocent is a bit strong.. but certainly not guilty as charged!) little head.

To add to Herman's quote: Tom Nixon, an American fly fishing innovator, invented the Calcasieu Pig Boat (yeah, I know!), a wonderful bass "fly" that looks all too much like a rubber skirted jig, somewhere in the 1950's.
    He had this to say after another author, Harold Blaisdell, brought his fly to national attention by writing about his success using it for brown trout, in Field and Stream magazine, 1954:
    "What puzzled me, was why anyone would waste a good bass bait on brown trout.. Mr. Blaisdell received a good bass fly and promptly let some old brown trout slobber all over it."

Now that, I understand, is a very offensive thing to say, but it does bring home the point!

Cheers!
    Last edited by LeRoy; 16-07-09 at 11:57 AM.

And here's the iconic Dave Whitlock :

" in my opinion ,only a wild brown trout , Great Lakes carp or Argintine golden dorado approaches the smallmouth as the noblest freshwater flyfishing quarry.....I've yet to see a smallmouth roll over and give up in exhaustion."

Quote Originally Posted by flybum View Post
    And here's the iconic Dave Whitlock :

" in my opinion ,only a wild brown trout , Great Lakes carp or Argintine golden dorado approaches the smallmouth as the noblest freshwater flyfishing quarry.....I've yet to see a smallmouth roll over and give up in exhaustion."
    let me tell you, a smallmouth yellow will seriously smoke a small mouth bass any day of the week.
    For pure fresh water adrenalin, you can't beat an Okavango tiger. Sure they don't go on for ever , but the first couple of leaps, are truly arm wrenching.
    Bass are pussies compared to the real fish we have in Africa.
    This Whitlock dude needs an education about real fish......

Hi Andre,

Fair enough! I know nothing of tigers but that which I've dreamt and read, but a smallmouth yellow is a lot stronger than a bass. The thing is just that big SMB are the kings of chucking hooks (know nothing of tigers..) and busting you off in cover that they are ever so hard to keep out of on light tackle. And they don't stop complaining until you have your thumb firmly in the jaws. I hardly ever lose a yellow once it's proper hooked though. But yes, a hell of a lot stronger.
    And yes, perhaps bringing Mr. Whitlock to Africa will alter his perception somewhat!
    Cheers!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast