Thread: Guides on the Vaal

Question Guides on the Vaal

Hi guys,
    firstly apologies for requesting info with so few posts to the forum, but being overseas I don't know if I can contribute all that much......but I have gained plenty from reading it.

I'll be visiting South Africa in late Oct, early November and would love to have a go at catching some yellows and muddies on the Vaal; it has been over 6 years since I last visited the Vaal.

Can you guys recommend/suggest a venue close to JHB ( Sandton) and a guide? I would like to fish during the week for a day.

I have a couple of 4wt's in various lengths and actions, would this suffice? Was thinking about using an Orvis tip flex 4wt or St croix legend Ultra both between 8'6" and 9 ft.

thanks
    e

Hi, a 4 weight is ok but not ideal. A 5 or 6 would be better. if you get into a decent yellow you'll get revved and if it heads down stream it's going to be rough catching up with it.

Not too sure about guides but I'm sure someone can help you there, alternately some of the tackle shops do midweek trips or will be able to hook you up with a guide. You might even find one or two okes from the forum who are keen to tag along.

On a weekend you'll have no hassles, the river will be full of forumers at that time of year.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Hi E

Contact Ian Couryer...I can really recommend him.
    (REFFIS) (theta) accredited fly-fishing guide.
    Cell: 082-306-5929
    E-Mail: yellowfish@polka.co.za

He will even borrow you the correct tackle if you don't have, and flies of course. He knows the Vaal and it's yellows very well, and will put you into fish no problem.

You need a 5wt 9ft rod ideally...and floating line.
    9ft leaders with 3X, 4X and 5X tippets.

As I said though...Ian can hook you up in full if you don't have the correct tackle.

Cheers
    Mike

Thanks for the swift replies guys. I think I may have met Ian at one of the flyshops in Joburg a few years ago - his name is familiar. I'll drop him a mail.

I need to work out how to convince the better half that a new 5wt and accessories is vital to the success of the trip The bloody shins and bruises from the vaal shuffle will be more pleasant; no doubt.
    Last edited by rockspider; 04-08-09 at 01:53 PM.