Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cape Town angling spots

Sorry to dissappoint you Herman, but then again I am a sharks fan.
    I am away in Ceres for that weekend so I am afraid I can't help.

Sjoe - I cannot think of much that would be happening that close to town.

It will probably be a bit too cold for salty stuff, and you are a good 2 months early for when the carp pick up. I have heard that you can catch Smallmouth bass in a quarry somewhere at the base of table mountain - near the tampon towers, but i have no idea how to get there. Smallmouth bass should respond ok at this time of year.

If you have the time, I would suggest going out to somerset west to fish at Eikendal and you'll be able to meet up with Philip and Mark, and I am sure a couple of the other flytalkers will be there over a weekend.

Sorry I can't help more.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Booger Rose Banned User

I would also recommend the drive out to Somerset West, Eikendal is a top spot and the 6wt will work beautiful on the stilwater troot. If the troot is not taking it is still worthwhile to do the trip and just have a chat with Philip and Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    I would also recommend the drive out to Somerset West, Eikendal is a top spot and the 6wt will work beautiful on the stilwater troot. If the troot is not taking it is still worthwhile to do the trip and just have a chat with Philip and Mark.
    I agree, and don't forget the meat for the braai. Phillip lights a mean fire.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I unfortunatly will be in the Richtersveld at that time, otherwise I would have been happy to take you up to Larkies, where you will undoubtedly put a serious bend in that 6wt.
    I have never seen larkies produce such strong fish as it is at the moment.
    I think someone must have dumped a tank full of energade or something in the dam.
    If you can, try get to larkies. Call the CPS on 021 4247725 for more info, or ask one of the kindly lads from the Cape.

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    maybe some of the locals will share some of there secret spots with you...my local carp spot hasnt produced in over a year.as for the barbel...only caught them at sandvlei and black river...both i would think out with all this rain we having.coastal park is an option....do you have a gun i hope some of the other guys may share a spot or two with you
    I was out at Zandvlei and Coastal Park over the weekend. No fish activity of any kind at the Zandvlei inlets and the water smells awful. There are 2 trash collection nets spread across the canal. There was a distinct lack of Carp at Coastal Park. (See catch report.) Sean Mills and myself took a walk into the main treatment plant area and ran into 2 unsavoury characters smoking something illegal. (It was in a beer bottle neck.) They were hiding in an abandoned structure. Personally I don't like fishing while having to look over my shoulder all the time. Lakies or Eikendal makes more sense.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Thanks for all the hints. Eikendal & Lakies sound good, but a bitt off on distance for a quick trip.
    Will speak to some of the locals when I get there...
    Save our Yellows!

herman...i think you misunderstood me.i never said we couldnt go for a fish was just hoping to find out if the other guys would maybe share a carp or barbel spot...we can do a trip to lakies if you want.would have to be that sunday i think.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

we can do a trip to lakies if you want.would have to be that sunday i think.
    Would have been an excellent one, but unfortunately my flight is only landing at 2pm. A bit late to travel all the way to lakies for an afternoon's fishing?
    Save our Yellows!

other option is a go at the elusive contermanskloof browns...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

other option is a go at the elusive contermanskloof browns...
    Those browns surviving are turning into carp as we speak. Get rid of those carp f.....s, and you will have prestine waters.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast