Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flies for Blacktail, Galjoen, Wildeperd

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Also don't forget Salty Buggers, in all sizes.
    White bodies...with different tails...i.e. White, Chartreuse, Pink, Orange, Blue.
    With a little crinkle flash in the tails.
    Killer flies for ALL species!

Mike

Hi Mike

I have tied some white salty buggers with white tails. Will try the other variants in colour too. What hook size will you recommend for these patterns?

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Fishing for blacktail etc means fishing rocky and semi-rocky areas. What setup are you using? Do you fish weed gaurded flies as well, or only flies that flip over weedless due to dumbells or weights. What about fishing unweighted flies or even flies on weighted lines that are boyant.

DAVE
    Definitely spot-on there Dave! I used a intermediate line and a fluorocarbon tippet. This way the line was below the rolling waves and above those sharp rocks Most of the bigger flies (#2 and 2/0) have been tied with lead wire. The smaller ones will have to rely on the fluoro tippet to get the down. The clousers and charlies were tied to flip over due to the eyes. The redbait immitation was tied weightless with a weedguard. I also want to experiment with foam in some other flies, just to add to the buoyancy.

Thanks for all the input and advice. Unfortunately the fish did not quite play along as I would had hoped. I must add that the fishing was not as hectic as it had been at times. I fished a few spots where I know there are lots of smaller blacktail (and the odd large one!) and caranteen (strepie). But nothing... Nevertheless I enjoyed the time spent fishing

Will be going back in September and hopefully nail them then. In the meantime I will up my stock of saltwater flies by tying a few more patterns

Quote Originally Posted by rohann View Post
    Hi Mike

I have tied some white salty buggers with white tails. Will try the other variants in colour too. What hook size will you recommend for these patterns?
    You could tie from size 8, to size 1...that's for the fish you are targeting.
    They could go right up to size 4/0 if you like, for big fish.

Thanks Michael

Will definitely tie a few

Here's a Step-By-Step for the Salty Bugger from my site. Just vary the tail colours, and the flash in the tail of course.

Where can I get a picture of Conrad's "Steve Austin"
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Default Steve Austin

This fly is a Charlie variation, but works exceptionally well for blacktail.

Tie is using a size #6 Gamagatsu SL11 or similar. Start by tying in gold dumbells (various sizes for various depths, don't be afraid to go heavy)

Tie in a sparse clump of WHITE calftail at tail and build up a body using shell pink thread.

Tie in a wing of tan or rootbeer calftail in front of the dumbells. Add 4 strands of tan crystal flash (optional)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cheers Conrad. I read your article in the TCFF and came up with the pattern that is pretty much the same.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Years ago when I lived in Western Cape...I found a gully between several rocks at Baileys Cottage that substantial shoals of large galjeon frequented...I used to spearfish then and shot some big ones then...they weren't easy as they were very skittish but I also caught them on rod and line...it was our secret place...I knew it well from under the sea...

Would love to know if they could be targeted on fly...although you would battle if you hooked one of the bigger ones in this terrain.

Here it is...I'm sure they must still come there...

Galjeon hot spot.PDF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2