Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass spawning?

Default Bass spawning?

So as we head into spring the bass will be spawning soon.

I must say I am keen to have a look @ Harties but it seems a huge place and my tube is ever so small.

Anyone have know a day venue that launches onto good water / sites?

HI Stuart,

Yes the bass will start spawning as soon as the weather and waters warm up and stay consistent. No matter what the size of the waters are, just read the conditions proptly and look for shallows with structure. Sandy type bottom, 2-4 ft water for spawning, structure nearby for feeding.If not structure, then drop-off.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi stuart, you will catch more bass if you fish the nests, these will be males, if you want to get bigger fish. you will have to find a area like a dropoff or a ditch that runs into deeper from the shallows and wait for these big females , they will move in and out of the spawning flats, remember not all bass spawn this time of the year, some may spawn later in the year
    the conditions need to be right - water temp, lunar cycle ( some say if the temp is right a bass will spawn after the first full moon ) don't know if this is true , i have found females full of eggs in november

HI Stuart,

Another couple of points when targeting spawning bass, they are more difficult on fly compared to bassing.

FF for spawning bass is 99% sight fishing to be successful. Putting a wooly bugger as a E.G. a couple of metres past the nest and let it sink, slowly retreive towards the nest. The bass will flare its gills and intercept your fly only close to the nest, or even only when it enters. This is when you must be awake, watch your leader very close if you dont see it suck your fly in very gently. It will not eat it, but spit it out away from the nest.

Another way that I induce them to strike is to put a popper or any noist surface fly a couple of metres past the nest. Retreive at speed, when the bass flares it's gills and tries to intercept it, STOP!! let it lie. The bass will approach it and actually bump it with its snout, but not inhale it. Wait for the bass to lose interest, as it turns to head back to its nest, give it 1 or 2 sharp pulls. This pisses them off totally, in one speedy turn they attack. Now wait a split second for them to turn back to nest. Lift into the fish and fish on.

Remember, they do not leave the nest for long or go far from it. So a fly not within inches or actually in the nest will not induce a strike.

Maybe Herman or Conrad Botes who know these bass will also give some input.

ENJOY!! I love ff for bass.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Skip Harties, go to Rust de Winter, apparently good fishing early season, less so late season.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Skip Harties, go to Rust de Winter, apparently good fishing early season, less so late season.
    Just not in your float tube

Do a search for Bass Lake in Henley on Klip. I can't remeber if it was on the old forum or this one.
    Day fees are hefty though.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by OllieOwen View Post
    Ssssssssshhhhht

Well to be fair ... have you SEEN some of the barbel in Harties ? Imagine one of those 30Kg outjies thinks your leg is a chew toy and comes up for a wee nibble.

(I can see the headline : "Harties Faecal Coliform count reaches new heights")
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by OllieOwen View Post
    Lol True story - I was about to suggest Rust De Winter until I read the bit about "my tube might be a bit small".
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I wont go near Harties, even in a condom!!! That water is trouble waiting to happen. The only diff's between Harties and sewage water.....is sewage water is cleaner!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast