Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An idea for a swap?

Default An idea for a swap?

Hi Guys
    I was sitting around and playing with 3 materials. Then I thought of this. What if we started a fly swap where we choose say 3 to 5 materials and see what flies we can make out of the selected materials, each participant can do what ever he wants with the materials, any tipe of fly for any species. What do you guys think?
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

Good idea Johan. I like it.

Like your signature quote by FOSAF Chairman Ilan too - ne'er a truer word spoken.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Thanks Jan. As you said never a truer word spoken. I just realise every day that, as Dr. Gerhard Verdoren(sorry if the spelling is wrong) puts it, the only dangerous thing on earth are humans.
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

Jan looks like it is just me and you who likes my idea?
    -Ilan Lax

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Janse van Rensburg View Post
    Jan looks like it is just me and you who likes my idea?
    Not entirely, sounds good, I'll go for it.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

A good idea as long as they are readily available materials, and not exotic stuff like CDC, which costs a fortune.
    How about : a piece of commercial wrapping, peacock herl or dubbing, and a hook?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Sounds like a winner. Definitely make the experts think a bit...
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Every decent man is ashamed of his government.

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi Johan, sounds like a good idea! Looking fw to see what these materials will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    A good idea as long as they are readily available materials, and not exotic stuff like CDC, which costs a fortune.
    How about : a piece of commercial wrapping, peacock herl or dubbing, and a hook?

Herman haha I was playing around with deerhair, flexi floss(or I think it is called flexi floss, bought this from a craft shop.) and CDC that I plucked for free from the duck in the back yard

So I was thinking in that direction, but If it is going to be a problem then I'll think of something else.
    -Ilan Lax

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Janse van Rensburg View Post
    Herman haha I was playing around with deerhair, flexi floss(or I think it is called flexi floss, bought this from a craft shop.) and CDC that I plucked for free from the duck in the back yard

So I was thinking in that direction, but If it is going to be a problem then I'll think of something else.
    Johan, Your direction of thinking I like. My thoughts were to make the swap as cheap and easy, yet as innovative as possible. There are quite a few forummers who don't have access to Fly shops, but nearly every Dorp has a sewing shop or haberdashery.
    How about, only "normal" material allowed from a fishing shop is the hook. Maximum no. of materials ( excluding the hook ) = 5. One would have to wax your sewing thread with whatever if you wished to, to dub your favourite cat's fur, etc.

A thought which I will probably persue on my own regardless. My wife's Pekingnese better stay away from my scissors, their tail fur will make brilliant streamer tails.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast