Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caddis Pupa

Default Caddis Pupa

Hi,

I tied a few caddis pupa's last night for the Yellow season... Think they look nogal nice. The second pic is the wetlook version... Any thoughts?

D
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A woman who has never seen her husband fly-fish, doesn't know what a patient man she married!

http://dirkleroux.blogspot.com/

I think they look awesome...will definitely work.

Just remember, the fly underwater (submerged) looks very much like it would when dry above water. Wetting it, and taking it out of the water, is not what it looks like under water. So judge the fly by what it looks like dry. (Which is killer!)

3. Default

Looks great....

Even better if the hook was barbless
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Very neat Dirk, if I may ask, what did you use for the antennae?
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Very neat Dirk, if I may ask, what did you use for the antennae?
    Looks like pheasant tail fibres, of I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Just remember, the fly underwater (submerged) looks very much like it would when dry above water. Wetting it, and taking it out of the water, is not what it looks like under water. So judge the fly by what it looks like dry. (Which is killer!)

Hi Michael,

You are quite right with the underwater remark, I forgot to add the last pic - this is how the fly looks in a glass of water..

D
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A woman who has never seen her husband fly-fish, doesn't know what a patient man she married!

http://dirkleroux.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Hey Dirk

Awesome Awesome Awesome
    Will you grace us with a SBS soon?

Hint hint
    Last edited by Shamwari; 03-09-09 at 11:24 AM.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Nice flies, really juicy looking morsels. Have you tried something like Coq de Leon for the antennae? Pheasant tail is pretty fragile and I find it tends to break fairly quickly.
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Awesome flies - I still don't fully understand how that fuzzle technique works, so if you have and SBS that would be super.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Hi Michael

I can't say I agree with you when you say "judge the fly by what it looks like dry" simply because the components that make up a fly react very differently in water that is much denser than air and generally a fly in water looks nothing like the same fly that is dry, completely different profile et cetera. Cases in point; deceivers, palmered rabbit patterns and any other patterns that have components that will move in water. But I do agree with you that looking at a wet fly out of water is not a true reflection of what the fly will look like in the water.

Only true test is to acquire a testing tank or tie it to your leader and work it in a pool.
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast