Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crab pattern..best material

Default crab pattern..best material

hi guys,what materials do you use for your crab body.i checked gerrits fly with foam body and the merkin thread but looking at other options.want the fly to sit as close to the bottom as possible.dont think you will achieve that with foam.also reckon it needs to feel hard and more natural to the fish.thxs
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Ive seen carpet used before....just cut out a body shape and glue to hook, etc.

hope that helps

I use rolls ofknitting yarn, which I cut into strips, attached them to the hook tightly next to each other, and then tease them out to make them look more natural.
    You can get the rolls of yarn from any haberdashery.....guess it is the yarn you would use to knit with.

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    hi guys,what materials do you use for your crab body.i checked gerrits fly with foam body and the merkin thread but looking at other options.want the fly to sit as close to the bottom as possible.dont think you will achieve that with foam.also reckon it needs to feel hard and more natural to the fish.thxs
    Just remember that fish really enjoy crabs/shrimps/crayfish when they're moulting i.e. soft.
    Check your knots!

i wonder how they know when they moulting maybe pick up the difference in colour.

i was looking for something similar to what MC used on his triggerfish pattern.dont want to use yarn etc etc

thanks for the replies so far guys.....seems only 3 guys fish freshwater crab patterns

Stephen Smith

Stephan

I tied a awsome lifelike crab patern using spun deer hair. It sits hook point up and it just look really awsome in the water. Can be a bit heavy to cast on a light rod, but I am sure you will get that sorted out.

Still want to try it for grunter and cob.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

of miskien n mosselcraker.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    of miskien n mosselcraker.......
    You think those sharks and rays was strong....
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

ok...so i tried tying up my first crab pattern last night and was quite pleased with the outcome.they still need to be turned into a brown colour(maybe permenant marker ) and also need to add eyes.working with the superglue was a problem,ended up with more on my fingers than anywhere else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stephen Smith

Stephen, I've seen the guys in Oz use mapping pins for eyes. Looked quite good on the larger patterns
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast