Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hardy cane rod

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I'm talking generally and yes, it's might be a sweeping statement. But it's the truth unfortunatly. I have fished with a few cane rods, and while they do the job in anadequate mediocherly way, they are nowhere near the performance of modern rods. I find the majority to be heavy, too slow actioned for me, (even the so called fast one's) and their "bounce back" charactristics..well, non existent.
    Sure, I am not a cane rod efficianado, nor do I class myself as anything resembling a traditionalist. I prefer to push the boundaries, and for what i enjoy doing, I need the most high performance equipment I can find. For me, Cane rods, nor fibreglass for that matter, fit the profile.
    Respect to anyone wanting to fish with cane rods, but realising that we are all different, and want different things, you really have to want to fish a cane rod, to enjoy it for what it is.
    The truth, hardly! - but to each his own.....
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I'm talking generally and yes, it's might be a sweeping statement. But it's the truth unfortunatly. I have fished with a few cane rods, and while they do the job in anadequate mediocherly way, they are nowhere near the performance of modern rods. I find the majority to be heavy, too slow actioned for me, (even the so called fast one's) and their "bounce back" charactristics..well, non existent.
    Sure, I am not a cane rod efficianado, nor do I class myself as anything resembling a traditionalist. I prefer to push the boundaries, and for what i enjoy doing, I need the most high performance equipment I can find. For me, Cane rods, nor fibreglass for that matter, fit the profile.
    Respect to anyone wanting to fish with cane rods, but realising that we are all different, and want different things, you really have to want to fish a cane rod, to enjoy it for what it is.
    Thank goodness for that, imagine what the price of a vitage cane rod would be if everybody aspired to own one

I can understand your viewpoint Andre, though I do have a little vintage 7ft fibreglass Hardy, but I use it in specific circumstances where I need a quick loading rod (and it was cheaper than buying a Sage TXL, I will get there one day)
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    Thank goodness for that, imagine what the price of a vitage cane rod would be if everybody aspired to own one

I can understand your viewpoint Andre, though I do have a little vintage 7ft fibreglass Hardy, but I use it in specific circumstances where I need a quick loading rod (and it was cheaper than buying a Sage TXL, I will get there one day)
    It was Daryll that mentioned the Sage TXL, not me.

Oh, didn't realise that someone mentioned a TXL, I've been considering getting myself one for the wee wild broonies that I fish for in the Water of Leith in Edinburgh (or possibly building one, way cheaper)
    Last edited by Gael; 13-09-09 at 06:47 PM.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Oh, didn't realise that someone mentioned a TXL, I've been considering getting myself one for the wee wild broonies that I fish for in the Water of Leith in Edinburgh (or possibly building one, way cheaper)
    Hi Gael,

I purchased the 3wt TXL blank and components, built the rod and then sent it to Mario to redo wraps and epoxy as I wasn't happy with my wraps and seemed to be going backwards when I tried to improve them. The rod is superb and everyone who has cast it rates it very highly - including Stephen Dugmore who knows a thing or two about rods. I would be interested to hear what you think if you buy one?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Gael, I have fished a bit with Daryll's TXL 3wt, and it is a superp instrument. I have the TXL 2wt, and as far as I am concerned, the 3wt is far better.

Mmm, very tempting, though I already own four 3WT rods in different lengths (10', 8,6", 8' and 7').

I was thinking about getting a 1wt, I don't know what I would do with a fith 3wt rod, any comments anyone regarding the 1wt? Other reason for not going for a 0wt is that one isn't only limited to the sage lines in the one weight.

May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Mmm, very tempting, though I already own four 3WT rods in different lengths (10', 8,6", 8' and 7').

I was thinking about getting a 1wt, I don't know what I would do with a fith 3wt rod, any comments anyone regarding the 1wt? Other reason for not going for a 0wt is that one isn't only limited to the sage lines in the one weight.
    Hi Gael

Why not take the plunge and build your own 1wt? I can recommend the CTS blanks, especially the "MX" models when you are looking at 1wt or 2 wt rods. Superb! And it will work you out a third of the price of a factory top-end rod.
    You can also choose any length from 7 foot right through to 11 foot.

Mike

The reason why you will be limited to Sage lines, is beacause only Sage do rods in the 0 to 000 range, so it stands to reason that there should be no problem with the lines as they would be perfectly matched. It's like saying that, "I won't buy a Toyota, because they have Toyota engines"

Default Thanks for all the advice about the Hardy

The owner tells me according to the serial number the rod and reel were made in 1951 but look like new. Is it too old to use?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast