Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Elbe Rods

Im on the east rand area, NIGEL to be more specific.. so I fish on the blesbok and some dams for bass.. If I go looking for tackle I go check out western accesories or Mias.. Mias I still find to be a bit pricey.. maybe when im out that way ill go an have a look.. thanks! I think its a good idea to go check out some rods and cast them to actually get a feel for them.. think that may help a lot! But ya, spending 5000r for a rod is just ridiculous..

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Im on the east rand area, NIGEL to be more specific.. so I fish on the blesbok and some dams for bass.. If I go looking for tackle I go check out western accesories or Mias.. Mias I still find to be a bit pricey.. maybe when im out that way ill go an have a look.. thanks! I think its a good idea to go check out some rods and cast them to actually get a feel for them.. think that may help a lot! But ya, spending 5000r for a rod is just ridiculous..
    Carefull you don't cast too many rods, you might just find one you like, that costs a lot more. It doesnt stop there, you going to need a reel, a line, tippets, and a whole lot of other things.
    Why not try Sportsmans warehouse for one of those Explorer classic combo kits for a bout R400, which includes reel and line. For what it is, pretty good value.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Have you seen the finish on the Stealth Adventurer?

The flexcoat over the wraps looks rugby ball shaped.....I love Rugby but I dont like Rugby Balls on a rod!

Its like Boerewors on a wedding cake.....Just doesnt work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Have you seen the finish on the Stealth Adventurer?

The flexcoat over the wraps looks rugby ball shaped.....I love Rugby but I dont like Rugby Balls on a rod!

Its like Boerewors on a wedding cake.....Just doesnt work!!!
    Yes, I agree, but it is a cheapy entry level rod, which is chosen on budget. I'm sure it's a great rod for the price, but if you are buying one of those, you should accept it, warts and all. To now begin to look at thread wraps and rod finish etc. you would probably be looking at a more expensive rod. Cheap rods are cheap, because they are cheap, and use cheap materials and labour. If they didn't, they would be expensive rods.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I bought a reel, stealth twin cassette which I like a lot.. have everything else because I fish with a 5/6wt.. its just the rod that I need to kit out... Hopefully I will get something good enough and for a not to heavy price!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    I stay out in Heidelberg at the moment.. Went down to the blesbok the other day trying for yellows.. Went on the otherside of the N3.. How much luck have you had in the Blesbok, and any other advice on decent dams or bass dams in the area?

Lakka
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Nice, I almost always catch a few yellows in the blesbok! they are small but ocasionally you hook a decent size fish.. In Nigel I have caught barbel and bass in the blesbok, but if im in the mood for some big bass I go to Nigel dam or murray park in springs.. I should be heading off to the blesbok tomorrow if im not in balfour.. if your looking for nice carp to catch on fly then in Nigel they have the marage pan that holds some decent size carp and bass..

Sounds cool.. maybe sometime we can meet up and do a fish.. Do you target carp on fly at all? I haven't caught carp on fly and it's a species I'm dying to target them.. Well let me know some time, if you keen..

lakka
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Yeah sounds good! I dont target carp but I have had the odd occasion where I have picked them up with caddis flies when fishing for yellow.. pm me when you have free time and we could meet up for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes, I agree, but it is a cheapy entry level rod, which is chosen on budget. I'm sure it's a great rod for the price, but if you are buying one of those, you should accept it, warts and all. To now begin to look at thread wraps and rod finish etc. you would probably be looking at a more expensive rod. Cheap rods are cheap, because they are cheap, and use cheap materials and labour. If they didn't, they would be expensive rods.

Andre

Point taken.... I just feel that in the budget range rods of R250-R1000 that you would be surprised to see that even on the cheaper ones the wraps and epoxy work is better than on some of the better know budget rods. For R250 for the Sensation Viking compared to the Adventurer of R500-R600, I would rather settle if need be for the Sensation Viking even though it has the Fuji wannabe graphite reelseat on. No need spending money on a budget rod if the the thing is too ugly too even look at.

But yet again what does a person care if he wants a quick Dullstroom Weekend rod at 16:30 on a Friday afternoon prior to leaving for Dullstroom. It doesnt matter!

But for the guy who wants to kit himself to fish lets say the Vaal weekend after weekend with a budget rod, I would say take all the budget rods, cast them, feel them and take the one that suits you best.

Who knows there might even be guys that loves rugby balls on their rods?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1