Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Sontraaldam

Default Sontraaldam

Hi all.I dont know how many of you fish Sonstraal,i thought that i will start this thread on the dam.I wanna let you all know that i have been fishing there the last month or so and i havnt been hassled once.The no fishing boards by the bottom dam has been taken off.Fishing is great.Lots of carp and barbel.I dont know about the bass,havnt got any yet.Lets share our good sonstraal memories of years before they closed the dam.

Dirk

I was thinking of driving past there tonight and have a look see, how deep is that dam,and is there lots off barbel? Those ugly mothers can give a good rev
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Hi there,the dam has deep parts by the damwall,and yeah there are allot of barbel there of over 10 kg's sometimes

Deewy, thanks for the session this morning. Hopefully we can do it again sometime?

Went to Sonstraal on the way back. First went up to Vygeboom. Loads of activity, but quite deep.

Moved down to Sonstraal and saw some nice fish. Kitted up and within a couple of minutes I caught my first Common Carp.

There were a couple of papgooiers at the one end of the dam and they had some success. No-one hassling us about the fishing. Funnilky, there are 2 sign indicating "No Fishing" and two without any fishing notices. Solution: Park at the sign not indicating fishing notices

Caught another carp before I had to leave for "daiper duty"

I went there on saturday and caught a 6kg+ barbel on a karp fritz,he almost bent my 8wt double as i got him in the shallow water by the inlet the tippet broke,the fish was so spent that it just lay there,so i jumped in and picked it up,wel that gave him a skop and he buggerd off,well luckely i had him in my hands so it counts as a catch

What flies did you guys catch the carp on and the barbel,cause if i can have my way i will target only the barbel,they giva an awsome rev
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Carp Frits is die storie! Renier tried another fly, not sure what it was, and had no luck.

well done on the fish chaps.dewald,were you fishing blind for the barbel?i tied up a bigger version of the carp fritz for them.it has hackle in it.caught plenty on it when them were in the canal at sandvlei.just abit worried about how much pressure to apply with the smaller #8 hook.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    well done on the fish chaps.dewald,were you fishing blind for the barbel?i tied up a bigger version of the carp fritz for them.it has hackle in it.caught plenty on it when them were in the canal at sandvlei.just abit worried about how much pressure to apply with the smaller #8 hook.
    Got them on those small fritz's you gave me last,strange how your flies get all the fish hehehe

I saw bubbles from feeding fish,thinking it was carp, and i just made a cast over them and did a slow fig8 retrieve trough the feeding zone and BANG all hell broke loose. I am going to go again tonight,there is tones off carp aswell and as I yet have to catch this fresh water bone fish.

Is anyone else besides myself and paul gonna be there tonight?
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    Is anyone else besides myself and paul gonna be there tonight?
    Might see you there. Need to see a customer in Brackenfell, so I'll pop by on my way back...don't know how I'm going to explain the fishy smell on my hands....SWAMBO might think I've been to Teasers or something

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Might see you there. Need to see a customer in Brackenfell, so I'll pop by on my way back...don't know how I'm going to explain the fishy smell on my hands....SWAMBO might think I've been to Teasers or something
    Solution: just take some engin oil and dirty your hands afterwards and splash some petrol on your arms and neck,just say the petrol hose came undone OR we can help you putt your spare tyre on and say that you had a flat

Many ways to skin a cat
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast