Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kaapse Kurper/Cape Kurper

Default Kaapse Kurper/Cape Kurper

Hi Guys

can anyone of you help me with techniques(stillwater and stream) or flies to catch these beautifull creatures. I really want to put it on my list of special species this season.
    Last edited by Johan Janse van Rensburg; 03-10-09 at 01:21 AM.
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

Booger Rose Banned User

Try a small dry and be ready for a fast strike. DDD and RAB. I'm just not sure if it was the Banded or Kaapse Kurper I caught. Think Banded

small PTN's also work...
    "I see the fly float gently down out of the air and land on target. For less than an instant I think, how can this be? Did I actually do that? But there is no time to contemplate philosophy or magic or the rewards of hard work. A trout is on the move..." - Ed Engle, Fishing Small Flies

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Janse van Rensburg View Post
    Hi Guys

can anyone of you help me with techniques(stillwater and stream) or flies to catch these beautifull creatures. I really want to put it on my list of special species this season.
    Cape Kurper are not difficult to catch, they will more or less eat any small dry or nymph you dead drift past them. Here is one which ate a ***dards Caddis - http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album...&pictureid=370
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Jip, in my limited experience, they basically go for anything...

Firstly, woolybugger well done on your great performance!!! And thanks guys for the replies. It was just what i thought it would be. I just wanted to do some homework before I go out to get them. Darryl I know about that pic I would really want to get one of them of my own oneday when I can afford a waterproof/underwater camera! It is a very beautifull shot. It was also one of the things that also added to my persuit for this creatures.
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

Thanks a lot Johan..have fun!
    "I see the fly float gently down out of the air and land on target. For less than an instant I think, how can this be? Did I actually do that? But there is no time to contemplate philosophy or magic or the rewards of hard work. A trout is on the move..." - Ed Engle, Fishing Small Flies

Thanks Christopher I will! Did you catch the cape kurper now in the nationals?

Guys would you mind telling me where you caught yours? I know of the monsters thats patroling Kaaimansgat and that we have them in the wild dams at Jonkershoek, but is that the only place where one can go to fish for them. As I said guys just doing my homework...
    -Ilan Lax

Just saw you post and was wondering if you are not talking about Witvis because Cape Curper only grow to maximum 20 cm so I doubt that there would be monsters in the Kaaimansgat. Witvis on the other hand can grow very large(monsters) and it is likely that there are a few in the Kaaimangat. Another reason that I am under the impression that you are referring to Witvis is that I know that there are quite a number of large Witvis in the wild dams at jonkershoek. Anyway I hope that my long speech is of any help

Chevy, sorry, I'm not refering to witvis I have them already on my list its an awesome fish to catch on a 3wt! But as you said cape kurper grows up to 20cm and for me thats a monster (cape kurper). Any cape kurper bigger than 12cm begins to lean to the monster size for this specie, for me.

Sorry if my post was a little confusing but my definition of monster fish differ from specie to specie.
    -Ilan Lax

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast