Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xplorer Guide 2 series...

Default Xplorer Guide 2 series...

A mate came up from Durban on the weekend and on the way up, bought himself an Xplorer Guide 2 series 3-weight for R&R (research & reference) purposes....

Must say, what a NICE rod!

It would seem that the whole caboodle has been reworked - not only is it very very pretty (matt olive with dark olive wraps and 2 turns of gold trim) with black single foot guides, but the rod is quite a bit stiffer/faster than the Guide 1 series I have.

A simple flex test where we laid the rods next to each other, held by the grip end and with the tips on the floor, there is about an inch less flex in the Guide 2 - much the same stiffness as my Stealth SXR 8033 (which is an 8 foot while the Xplorer is 7 foot 9).

We gave it the ubiquitous "lawn cast" (in search of grass carp ) and were very impressed. 1 or 2 false casts will get you more than half a line out (and before anyone starts kicking and screaming, yes, we know that's not necessary for a 3-weight, it was simply a test to see what it can do...).

The rod comes in a partitioned cloth bag with a fibreglass/carbon fibre/kevlar (not sure which) olive coloured rod tube with gold-coloured alum screw down end cap.

Kudos to Xplorer - they have produced a really nice piece of kit here!

EDIT: forgot to mention a price: my mate says it was "a thousand rand"...
    Last edited by JanK; 04-10-09 at 05:47 PM.
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

[QUOTE=JanK;150436]A mate came up from Durban on the weekend and on the way up, bought himself an Xplorer Guide 2 series 3-weight for R&R (research & reference) purposes....

Must say, what a NICE rod!

ubquitous DA!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I quite like the new Explorer rods. For their value for money and "workability" they are not bad. I just hate single foot guides though.....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I quite like the new Explorer rods. For their value for money and "workability" they are not bad. I just hate single foot guides though.....
    Why do you hate SF guides?

PS: I can't make any comments re the new Xplorer rods...have not seen one in the flesh, cast one, or fished one.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Why do you hate SF guides?
    The main reason, is the way the line goes through them, or rather, doeasn't go through them, but I find that they are a hindrance when you need to shake line out. Sometimes with mending, you shake a little line out the rod tip, to get a small amount of slack on the water, and then do the mend. I prefer snake guides for this, as the line slides far more smoothly through them.
    It's fine for the first and second guide to be single foot, as is the case with many rods, but the smaller guides closer to the tip, definatly cause more friction than snake guides.
    I realise this is an argument that can go on for ever, as the differenced as minuscule, but I have my preferences, and I believe that snake guides are better.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

anybody know if any one in ctn is stocking them yet?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    anybody know if any one in ctn is stocking them yet?
    What weight rod you interested in Mr Smith?
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

5 or 6....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The main reason, is the way the line goes through them, or rather, doeasn't go through them, but I find that they are a hindrance when you need to shake line out. Sometimes with mending, you shake a little line out the rod tip, to get a small amount of slack on the water, and then do the mend. I prefer snake guides for this, as the line slides far more smoothly through them.
    It's fine for the first and second guide to be single foot, as is the case with many rods, but the smaller guides closer to the tip, definatly cause more friction than snake guides.
    I realise this is an argument that can go on for ever, as the differenced as minuscule, but I have my preferences, and I believe that snake guides are better.
    I disagree...by a long mile...but as you say, it's your personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I disagree...by a long mile...but as you say, it's your personal preference.
    Ok, give us your rationale then...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast