Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellows in Groot Marico

Default Yellows in Groot Marico

Hi Guys

Any idea if yellows are to be found in the Sterkstroom river that runs through the town of Groot Marico? I have a few days booked on a farm on the river and have previously spent some time on the river but only took bass. There were "rumours" in town of large yellows having been caught there but nothing reliable.
    The name "stroom" is misleading as it is a serious piece of water...

Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Deon TerBlanche View Post
    Hi Guys

Any idea if yellows are to be found in the Sterkstroom river that runs through the town of Groot Marico? I have a few days booked on a farm on the river and have previously spent some time on the river but only took bass. There were "rumours" in town of large yellows having been caught there but nothing reliable.
    The name "stroom" is misleading as it is a serious piece of water...

Tx
    Deon!! be positive, if the water is unpoluted, go for it. Big yellows mean LM What a pleasure.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

The Groot Marico is the actual river unning through it - pun intended. Yes the water is good quality depending where you are fishing. It's the biggest natural spring in NW - 1 mil liters per day.
    Yes there are yellows - no largies - as this river is part of the Crocodile watershed so smallscale largescale and papermouth. THere are big very big fish bu it is one of the most difficult rivers to get the fish to take.

Bloodworm
    An artlure guy suggested one of the smallest rubber tails in white tied behind a tungsten bead.
    Brown mayfly nyphms
    Tan/cream caddis.

I have tried and have seen yellows in the river - love 40 at the moment with yellows serving!!

Tx for the info Carl, so it is certainly worth a shot then! Great news, I can't wait!

Deon

P.S. My Garmin seems to think it is the sterkstroom? Maybe I have the Whackhead Simpson version!

No the Sterkstroom is one of the tribs, but the GM is he river coming out of the Marico Oog. Where are you staying?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    No the Sterkstroom is one of the tribs, but the GM is he river coming out of the Marico Oog. Where are you staying?
    I'm staying on my girlfriends farm, right on the banks of the river (is it that obvious why I date her?). This picture was taken in winter when we were there. It is taken from a raft they have, one can travel up river to this spot where they have to turn around because the rapids start here. This spot is obviously where I will start my quest!!

Hmmm pity that my son is playing a chess tournament tom. It looks like you need some assistance. The rapids is good and then try the deeper water with small damsel and dragon imm.

... It looks like you need some assistance.
    HA HA HA ... N.S.S

Gorgeous piece of water that.

ps : you'd better hope she never stumbles on your faux pas ito stating that's why you're dating her ... can you say ACCESS DENIED ?

Good luck, hope you get something, post feedback on your results or lack thereof please.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Hi Deon

Any feedback on this?

Yes, kind of...:
    I didn't have a good time out, but here is what I've discovered so far.

Day 1:
    Thought I would try the rapids for yellows, found that the sections of rapids on our stretch of the river is very overgrown and tough to fish. I only had my 5wt rod with me and soon discovered it was 2-3 sizes to big. The river was very thin and I could only see small yellows, and other fish possible bass? in the rapids, no big ones around. Rocksnot was also a problem so eventually I just gave it up as a bad day between falling and getting caught in the branches behind me, and then there was also the swambo half naked sunbathing at the pool up ahead hmmm say no more....

Day 2:
    Spoke to the neighbouring farmer he recons black bass are taking over the river and wiping out the yellows and the yellows are becoming scarcer. He is very successful with a spinning rod fishing for bass. So I thought I would take out my tube on the bigger pools and try the edges for bass and possible largies? Had 2 strikes which I missed and nothing else, saw several rises of reasonable large fish not sure what they were. Spent about 4 hours on the tube no luck. Now I must admit I have no idea really how to fish for bass and I have no bass flies, tried black zonkers, wooly buggers, small rainbow imitations I had on me etc etc, so I don't know whether I had the wrong flies or technique?

In conclusion:
    I saw many rises in the big pools and many smaller fish in the rapids, if the water is a little higher I suspect the bigger yellows will be there.
    There is def. a lot of bass according to the neighbour. So I think the river could be quite viable? Going there again soon early next year and I will certainly keep on trying, the neighbour says the river is notoriously difficult to fly fish as many many have tried on his section with very little success, he thinks it's because the water is so clear (viz was about 4ft) which obviously makes it most desirable to me, to be one of the successful ones so I will keep on trying until the mystery is unravelled, all help will be appreciated! Next time I will take my 3wt as well as some bass flies, good luck....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast