Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Komatipoort

Default Fishing Komatipoort

Hi guys

I went fishing yesterday at Komatipoort. Actually targeting tigers, but all the people told us that tigers doesn't take anything right now because the water is so clear and because it didn't rain here at all for this season.

The majority of guys I've spoken to catch the tigers on chicken livers...

So flyfishing was basically out, but I quickly saw some huge kurper and tried to catch them instead, and lucky enough i had some success.

I can't wait for some decent rain to stir up the water so I can finally have my first season of catching tigers.

This is a beautiful place, but I must admit, a but on the unsafe side. The flatdogs keep patroling the river, with hippos about 50m away and elephants grazing across the river. This pictures was taken about 30m from the Kruger Park fence. This is as close as you can get to Kruger, without being an illegal visitor.

You have to fill in and sign a long form that states if you are killed by wild animals you are fine with it. The owner makes as if this is the single most dangerous thing you can do in your life - fishing the Komati River. I know its dangerous, but hey, you don't tease a flatdog ne!!

I'll try and keep this thread up to date as the season goes on.

Cheers

Troep
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ai Werner, Nou het jy my sommer lekker jaloers!

Nog een tot jou spesie lys.Nice one bud.

Troep, is that a red-breasted kurper??If it is, then it's one hell of a nice fish! I'm probably mistaken, seker maar 'n blou kurper??

Quote Originally Posted by OllieOwen View Post
    Troep, is that a red-breasted kurper??If it is, then it's one hell of a nice fish! I'm probably mistaken, seker maar 'n blou kurper??
    I have to agree....a Blou Kurper (tilapia mozambiques - if I'm right) usualy have some red lining on the fins, also the mouth is a bit bigger than the fish in your pick......?

If thats a rooibors, its a damn decent one! Nice!

Troep nou laat jy my baie huistoe verlang!!!!!!

Dis verseker 'n Rooibors... Daar is 'n paar plase in daardie omgewing met monster Rooiborse!!!

Well done Werner!!! Sien jou een van die dae, dan moet ons plan maak om van daai outjies en die tiere te gaan haal!
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

I think its a Blue Kurper, its got some Blue spots on it, if you zoom you'll see.

But guys, that was one of the smallest ones Ive seen there, you can see them while they sit there on one spot, I think its a male because you get them in pairs, and usually the females are bigger isnt it?

The small ones attack the fly and the bigger ones stay behind. After Ive caught that one, the remaining one was very scared of the fly.

I looked out for others but the light was very bad as you can see in the photos.

Next time Im gonna moer them, with better flies (smaller) that was on a deceiver...

But I dont think its a Red Breasted Kurper.

There were some of the Red Breasted Mudfish, but they are huge and they werent interested in anything just like the tigers... They are huge, almost 3-4 times bigger than the usual Vaal muddies, and they are very dark, almost black.

Anyway manne, next time the light will be better and the photo too...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Troep View Post
    I think its a Blue Kurper, its got some Blue spots on it, if you zoom you'll see.

But guys, that was one of the smallest ones Ive seen there, you can see them while they sit there on one spot, I think its a male because you get them in pairs, and usually the females are bigger isnt it?

The small ones attack the fly and the bigger ones stay behind. After Ive caught that one, the remaining one was very scared of the fly.

I looked out for others but the light was very bad as you can see in the photos.

Next time Im gonna moer them, with better flies (smaller) that was on a deceiver...

But I dont think its a Red Breasted Kurper.

There were some of the Red Breasted Mudfish, but they are huge and they werent interested in anything just like the tigers... They are huge, almost 3-4 times bigger than the usual Vaal muddies, and they are very dark, almost black.

Anyway manne, next time the light will be better and the photo too...

Cheers
    Well it's a beauty no matter what it is, but I'm with Johan on this one looks very much like a red breast and a huge one for that matter, the easiest to identify one is to hold it's tail in the sun, it's got a clearly defined split(one half lighter than the other) at the V in the tail, and if it's a blue, it's a female, definitely not a male. When I visit my folks in Nelspruit again, I also wanna try catch myself a nice kurper. Very well done Troep

Guys

Here's a close-up of the Kurper for better identification.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it isn't a blou kurper (they have red lines along the top of the dorsal fin and tail fin), and defintely not rooibors (has red bellies).
    My guess is Black Tilapia (Swartkurper).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast