Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fishing Komatipoort

Magic thanks Dave, please can you PM me his dets?

Many thanks for replying, appreciated!

cheers
    Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Chris

Go to the owner of Spar in Komatipoort. Chat him up a bit and he will take you out to private dams in the area. Now if you want to fish the Komati at Komatipoort, park your car at the caravan park otherwise you will loose a few things you don't want to loose.

You can fish from the low water bridge or you can go down to those River Chalets, it belongs to an ex Zimbo. Not the friendliest of okes. Anyway if you get the key for the gate drive down as far as possible. Park your car close to the big tree with the island running out into the water to your left. This is the best spot. Fish along the edge of the reeds.

On fly you will hook some in the 1kg range. But you could hook into a 3-6kg fish anytime. Don't use trace, these fish tend to shy away from the flies if you do use them. Go for 20-50lb Floro and you are on.

Flies that work is clousers, woolly buggers, flippers and anything with movement in them.

Now I am going to tell you stuff that does catch fish at Komati......

Take a conventional rod, no sinker, put on a black trace with a hook attached to it and cut ox liver into stir fry strips and put a strip on the hook. Cast, let it sink and reel it in slow.....Kapow!!!! Your on!!!! Another effective way is to catch small Kurper below the weir that is towards the main road going over the Komati to Mozambique, and to swim one underneath a mega float.......Wooooow your oooooooonnnn!!!! Or stop and buy yourself some goldfish at Nelspruit, the tigers up there seems to like fish with a goldish colour. Haven't done this yet, but guys from Witbank did it while I was down there.

Now at the weir you can get onto the rocks there and fish with fly and get plenty of fish in the 1-2kg range. Look out for flatties and hippos here. The crocs will come take you off those rocks.

Fish the Komati from 6-10am and then from 4-7pm. Otherwise you will melt.

If you want any further info, give me a shout!

Many thanks ET, Jocko and Schloess, all your info really appreciated!

cheers
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Finally I can be of some help, since Im a "local" now.

Everthing is true what the other guys say.

You can phone Craig at 079 186 6423.

R400 per person for 6 hours.

He has been a guide for more than 15 years and 10 years of that is on the Komati. He know everything about Tigers in the area and where they are, what they eat etc etc. He is also very knowledgeable about everything else in the area since he is a wildlife guide as well. He also guides for bass in the area, driekoppies dam is a good venue for huge bass!! The water colour is quite coffee-ish but he likes it like that. Tie up your dark flies and your are in for a leke trippie...

Let me know if you need more info, but im sure you can write a book on his knowledge. He is also a daiwa "pro" with very nice gear etc.

If you cant find him on that number let me know and I can get you the other number.

Also check this out: http://www.africansafariguru.com/ser...xperience.html

Cheers
    Last edited by Troep; 02-12-10 at 02:36 PM.

Hi Werner, thanks so much for your great info as well, really appreciated!

Will let you all know how I get on!

cheers
    Chris

Chris,
    I have just returned from Komatipoort. Chris the guide mentioned below was fantastic and well worth the rate. The river came down in flood on Saturday AM which messed up the fishing, but Chris got us onto some pretty interesting dams and other streams in the area. There are quite a lot of fish around, but fishing was tough this weekend. Watching the tigers catching swallows as hey swooped low above the water to drink was worth the trip - see if you can design a castable swallow imitation
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Hi many thanks Bruce!

You're right re the weather, it's got worse since you left. I went down to the chalets/caravan park yesterday and the low road bridge over the river was totally immersed with high, fast coffee-coloured water piling over it making fishing impossible. Hopefully it may subside in the next day or two then I will check out Uber-Komatipoortguide!

My cottage is on a hippo pool at Ngwenya Lodge - really special. Two hippos had a rumble a few metres from our balcony last night. Scary stuff! The way they walk underwater as well... no wonder they're the most dangerous animal to humans - other than humans! The bird life is great and also makes up for the impossible river fishing - we just had a pair of malachite kingfishers perch on a tree in front of us.

I and my daughter have so far been stalking Mozambique tilapia in reeds and shallows on the dams in the lodge grounds -great fun on a 4 weight, will save the 9 weight for hopefully a tiger trip! Amongst the kurper I caught some really weird spiny thing earlier this morning that reminds me of some kind of colourful loach/Miller's Thumb/gurnard/flathead type of fish - will need to ID it in Skelton's when I get home.

Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by chris williams; 07-12-10 at 10:52 AM.

Guys, thanks for all your good advice, but the weather conspired against me!

However I solved the riddle of the ID of the one fish I caught on fly. RTS (Referring To Skelton..), it was a freshwater goby - beautiful and unusual-looking fish about 15cm long, caught on the bottom in about 30cm of water in the shallows of the confluence of a stream and a small pond. Caught it when stalking kurper, using a size 14 olive PTN fished 'inverted' with the hook point up to avoid detritus. Great fun catching a new species!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234