Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best selection for Stillwater ???

Agreed. If the buzzer / nymph / whatzit needs to get deep, it's better to fish it on the point and live with the frustration of the odd tangle. Or do a New Zealand rig, although I strongly suspect I get even more dry-fly refusals on a NZ rig than when I fish the dry on its own. The fly in the pic is a DDD-ish fat thing. You know my flies - they bear a general resemblance at best to what I tried to tie!

The setup as per photo, with the dry on the dropper also works better than NZ rig. Plus you get the advantage of the point/buzzer fly that can go deep.

I think, buzzers are fished way to little in SA, what do you think?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I think, buzzers are fished way to little in SA, what do you think?
    I just put two trout in the freezer that would agree with you 100%

I don't fish buzzers enough either, I must admit. I do however fish a lot of klinkhammers and other emerger style flies, which are generally more effective to me than buzzers. (IMHO)
    I don't fish them enough though, as I said.

... then again, we fish plenty of brassies in SA, which I'm sue get taken for midge pupae amongst other things. But Korrie I think you're probably referring to "proper" buzzer fishing like the English do, or the Great canadian Chironomid Season. I've certainly fished SA waters where bloodworm formed a significant part of the trouts' diet. It follows that these waters should have good buzzer fishing also.

The good old 'washing line' and/or fishing a team of three buzzers dead-drifted with the wind as I've mentioned several times before, for me at the right times will often get more, better conditioned and bigger Troot on average than other methods - especially during winter/spawning. It works for me anyway and I guess it takes a bit of confidence to dead-drift in a dam using the edges of the wind lanes where the pupae get trapped to your advantage - but if some of you guys havn't yet tried it, really give it a go! You often get savage takes (from fish, not the car guards) using the most innocent, easy- and inconspicuous of fishing flies! And you're mostly fishing with a floating line or intermediate if the wind's strong and fishing a long leader just sub-surface, so it's good fun. More so than mechanically dredging or stripping egg-sucking leeches or hot-spot PTNs for poor stockies who've only just enjoyed a day or two of freedom from their hatchery..
    Last edited by chris williams; 02-12-09 at 07:03 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

hi guys, you'll be pleased to know my boring monologue was just interrupted by an electrical storm sent our way courtesy of the boys of the Vaal...

I was just going to add, for dam fishing in summer even in the midday heat especially if there's a slight ripple on the water, a buzzer olive or black on top dropper, with olive PTN on middle dropper (hybrid buzzer/baetis or small damsel nymph initation) and size 12 or 10 neutral density light or dark olive marabou damsel nymph on point, also fished just sub-surface can be a killer. The damsel naturally fishes better twitched and fastish retrieves a la natural which migrates to the shoreside reeds to mate during the day, and buzzers fished this way often give them a bit more added attraction from the thousands of other guys lying static in the water. Sometimes dead-drifted even the damsel will induce takes. It's also useful to note that a lot of the natural nymphs/pupae/larvae of the various insects tend to take on a more camouflaged olive/green colour ILO browns/sepias in summer especially when you're talking summer-rainfall areas when the weeds and plants turn green

Of course various density dragon nymphs work a treat around weedbeds, but we were talking more about fishing with buzzers as part of a 'team'. Personally I would only fish one fly around a weedbed anyway as the rest would tend to get hooked up in the weeds if you got a decent fish

Excuse hurried typing, another load of celestial high-voltage heading this way!

Hope the above info I've sort of gleaned over many years of trial/error is of some use, and even correct, for some of the time at least!
    Last edited by chris williams; 02-12-09 at 08:14 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Put it this way!! If you don't fish ''Poppernels'' U.V. Nymph or Taddy, expect a slow day.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123