Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The k@k in my fly vest

Default The k@k in my fly vest

I would love to hear about all the gizmos and gadgets that you guys carry around with you in your fly vest. I just did a bit of a clean out the other day and was amazed by the size of the mountain of stuff that grew as I emptied my pockets. I thought I would share this with you.

Out of one of the top pockets immerged a pot of orange floating putty, the stuff that I admit to baiting up on a bare hook one day and going on to catch a shit load of trout in the process. I smiled sheepishly as I placed it on the table in front of me. Out of the same pocket I took out a similar looking pot, containing a coil of oxidised lead putty. No major recollections came to mind by this find. Moving on to the pocket on the opposite side, I took out a container with a revolving lid, split shot, the stuff that made me sound like a fast approaching angry rattle snake when I boulder hopped on the streams.

Prying open a seized zip below the small top pocket, I discovered a wallet of old braided leaders, the likes of which I stopped using a many years ago when I was told by a old mate of mine that he doesnt believe in them, because they pick up too much water and expell a fine spray on your next cast back to target. I placed these on the table.....thoughts still pondering over the merits of that statement.

Moving on over to the other side's matching pocket, I removed a plastic bank bag containing a wod of old CPS membership cards. Carefully selecting the most recent and placing it on the table, I dropped the remaining 5, together with the brittle bank bag into the dustbin at my feet.

The next big pocket lower down produced a flat aluminium fly box, the one containing all my nymphs and general still water flies. Across to the other side I removed a bulky Swiss army knife, the weight of which serves as a useful priest on occassion. The pocket next to that was empty, being reserved for things that help calm the nerves when a huge fish is sighted.

Moving on down to the lower row of pockets with their fluff infested velcro flaps , I removed from right to left, a tube of Gherks dry fly floatant. The next pocket was empty, having been freed of its contents on a small stream recently.

The other side produced a old inch cloth tape measure, a leader straightener and a smelly old empty film canistor, which I use to put my expelled calming sticks in.

Moving up to the two large tandem zipped pockets on the left hand side of my vest, I removed two dry fly boxes, each about the size of a packet of 20's. The outer of the two pockets greeted me with a lovely wild herby scent as I extricated some crumbled leaves that had long since become detached from the sprig of buchu that I had stuffed in there some time back.

The matching opposite side produced yet another dry fly box, of which one of the individual compartments contained a variety of beads of different sizes, for my instant bead head flies.

The inner of these two tandem pockets revealed an old Hardy brass tube scale. Lying at the bottom of this pocket was an assortment of used split shot of different sizes.

Moving on to the inside of my vest, I opened the two velcro flaps that covered 6 individual little pockets containing all my tippet material, ranging from 3# to 8#

From the inside top pencil like pocket I removed a thermometer. A zipped security pocket next to that produced a wod of brand new frog hair leaders. The matching pocket on the other side contained a old map. The zipped pocket below that procuced a waterproof DL sized Orvis booklet on knots. The opposite side of that contained a few more new spools of tippet material. The inside back pocket was empty.

Moving on around to the outside back, I removed some crumpled up tin foil from the one sandwhich sized pocket ( the left over wrapping of my last sambo on the stream) and a spare reel spool from the other. The large zipped pocket that stretched across from shoulder to shoulder revealed a Cape Storm helium jacket....a life saver on many an occassion when the conditions unpredictably changed from sunny to freezing cold in a matter of minutes on the stream.

Finally, I removed a few danglies from the front,....knot nippers and foreceps. I also removed a few bedraggled looking flies from the two sheepskin patches on the chest.

Anyway, that about sums up the contents of my fly vest.

Needless to say, the whole damn lot, with the exception of the sandwich wrapper and the expired CPS cards, found its way back into my fly vest again!

I'll go though it and see what all inside, I know I went minimalistic, and now have gone back to some sort of level par... 2 Fly boxes, Tippet, Hip Flask, Snippers, Hemostat, Floatant, Indicator, Small Leatherman... and Hydration Pack...

Hang on, I'll just go get mine out of the safe. Yip, bought me a gun safe for my kit, that way the missus can't see what I own and therefore can't price it.

My biggest fear is that I die, and my wife sells my kit for the price I told her I paid for it.

Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

I have been using one of these combination backpacks/vests for the past two seasons. There is much less space than I am used to with a 16 pocket vest so I have been forced to go light and be selective. I carry 2 big fly boxes in the pockets but any spares have to go in the back. It has been an interesting exercise in figuring out what I really need, and most of the cr@p I've been lugging around wasn't really required.

But I now have space for a lightweight jacket and a classy riverside lunch (including thermos and small picnic blanket!). I think I've finally got my priorities right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    I have been using one of [URL="http://riverworks.co.nz/productr/?function=detail&id=17"]

But I now have space for a lightweight jacket and a classy riverside lunch (including thermos and small picnic blanket!). I think I've finally got my priorities right.

hahaha...........good one Kevin!

5. Default

I ditched my fly vest about 4 years ago, and started using a chest-pack almost exclusively. I use the Orvis Safe-Passage pack.

I made the move due to the guiding, the rational behind it:
    * Everything is always right in front of you - no need to go searching for stuff
    * Has plenty off room in it's 2 "pockets"
    - 1 holds my Camera and DV-Cam
    - Other holds 4 fly boxes, 8 spools of tippet (in internal compartments), fly-line cleaning pad, 3 tapered leaders (always 3), and some assorted junk.

I took off the front of the pack, just made it bulky, and did not use it much since I got it.

Then, attached to various coil-lanyards are some Airflo strike putty, Loons floatant, nippers and my Dr. Slick hemostats.

That's about that!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

6. Default

I also recently ordered the Vision Mycket Bra for when I get to go fishing by/for myself (not guiding) - hoping it will arrive soon!
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    I also recently ordered the Vision Mycket Bra for when I get to go fishing by/for myself (not guiding) - hoping it will arrive soon!
    excuse my ignorance but......huh? A what bra?

MMmmm... that looks awsome...

I'm still useing my Hardwear Back Pack, still find it works great...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    excuse my ignorance but......huh? A what bra?
    Support for my man-boobs

Mario Geldenhuys

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    I'm still useing my Hardwear Back Pack, still find it works great...
    Wish Komasyn did not go bust - they made some good stuff!

Max, best thing about this is the cost!!! You would fall on your back if you heard the price on the Vision stuff!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast