Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hackle

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Dizzy

The best value for money is propably the Whiting Super Saddles. You can get half a saddle in Bronze grade for about R 250. This cape will tie thousands of # 14 and #16 flies. The cape will also have quite a few # 18 feathers.

Cheers
    MC
    Whiting list their products grading very carefully
    http://www.whitingfarms.com/articles/grading.html

Possibly even better than the standard 1/2 saddle in Bronze (best for flies #12-16) would be a Whiting SIZED 1/4 saddle (14 & smaller).
    These provide feathers form #14-18 reliably and while 2 of them would be slightly more expensive than a 1/2 saddle, you have two coloursa to choose from, in addition to the fact that in a couple of years time, you will be able to buy even better hackle, so why buy too much up front?

While Chad (Blue Water Flies) does bring in 1/2 saddles (and sized 100 packs), I don't know if he brings in sized 1/4 saddles...

Gary.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    has anybody tried the conranch hackles: http://www.conranch.com/

They probably wont be available locally but i think you can order them from the website. The americans seem to rate these capes.
    Grant, I got some Conranch Capes about 3 years ago, and they are superb!!! The colours on the Badger and Cree capes I got are so vibrant that I feel sorry when I mess up a fly when I use them!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks Mario,

Which grade did you get?
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Default Colours

Hi guys, I just want your opinions on something. What three colours of hackle is "crucial" to have in your fly tying cupboard. Apart from grizly and brown

For me, light dun, dark dun & cream.
    Mike Mitchley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12