Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 126

Thread: Going all out

  1. #1

    Default Going all out

    I'm planning on buying a Danielsson reel for a 3wt outfit but I can't put something like that on a R1000 rod. That would be like putting bicycle wheels on a maclaren... It doesn't work and it looks bad. So I want to hear what you guys think about the following. I'm looking at buying a G. Loomis streamdance (custom/factory built) or a Sage Z-axis (custom/factory built). What rod would you go for? What other rods are there that are in that range? What would the price difference be between a custom built and a factory built rod? Looking at a 3wt outfit
    BOSHOF! wil jy huis toe gaan? Jaa samajoor! JY KANNIE!

    The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    275

    Default

    I had a 3 weight Thomas and Thomas LPS made up for me by Rico at Laxtons/Flyfishers Unlimited. Its by far my favourite rod to fish with, with a lovely progressive taper. T&T have replaced the LPS series with the Whisper-lite (http://thomasandthomas.com/p.whisper/whisper.html).

    At the time, having it made up for me was a bit cheaper.
    Last edited by Stephen Louw; 21-11-09 at 06:54 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    I just bought an 8'6 3wt Sage ZXL and by all accounts it's a peach of a rod.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgildonatifan View Post
    I'm planning on buying a Danielsson reel for a 3wt outfit but I can't put something like that on a R1000 rod. That would be like putting bicycle wheels on a maclaren... It doesn't work and it looks bad. So I want to hear what you guys think about the following. I'm looking at buying a G. Loomis streamdance (custom/factory built) or a Sage Z-axis (custom/factory built). What rod would you go for? What other rods are there that are in that range? What would the price difference be between a custom built and a factory built rod? Looking at a 3wt outfit
    What is it about either rod that you like? They are so vastly different, that you can't possibly be making a toss up between the two.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgildonatifan View Post
    I'm looking at buying a G. Loomis streamdance (custom/factory built) or a Sage Z-axis (custom/factory built).
    If you are looking for a stream rod DO NOT look at the Z-Axis. It's a unforgiving plank of a stream rod. The ZXL is the zenith of stream rods, and would be my choice of rod 100 times over.

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgildonatifan View Post
    What would the price difference be between a custom built and a factory built rod? Looking at a 3wt outfit
    You can mail me at mario@customflyrods.co.za if you want to and need more info on this.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    I just bought an 8'6 3wt Sage ZXL and by all accounts it's a peach of a rod.
    Best choice ever made
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    If you are looking for a stream rod DO NOT look at the Z-Axis. It's a unforgiving plank of a stream rod. The ZXL is the zenith of stream rods, and would be my choice of rod 100 times over.
    I cast Andre's 2wt ZXL at the Bells festival and didn't like it at all. I am no expert on casting or rods but the ZXL seemed to have what I can best describe as a "flat" spot about a third up the length of the rod. It didn't seem to be flexing properly and lacked the sensitivity of something like the TXL. I think Andre was using a 2wt Sharkskin line on the rod which seemed to be overloading the rod - Matt then tried a Sierra (I think) 2wt line which seemed a little better. Maybe the 3wt and 4wt versions are a lot better than the 2wt? It's a pity as I was keen on getting a longer 3wt and thought the ZXL would be a good option for me.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

    Reap the Whirlwind - WM

    Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    I cast Andre's 2wt ZXL at the Bells festival and didn't like it at all. I am no expert on casting or rods but the ZXL seemed to have what I can best describe as a "flat" spot about a third up the length of the rod. It didn't seem to be flexing properly and lacked the sensitivity of something like the TXL. I think Andre was using a 2wt Sharkskin line on the rod which seemed to be overloading the rod - Matt then tried a Sierra (I think) 2wt line which seemed a little better. Maybe the 3wt and 4wt versions are a lot better than the 2wt? It's a pity as I was keen on getting a longer 3wt and thought the ZXL would be a good option for me.
    I can't say I've observed this flat spot on either the 2wt or the 3wt. A friend of mine has the 2wt and is very happy with it, I've cast it a couple of times and enjoyed it's action.

    That said, we're both using Sci Angler XPS lines and the rod/line combination is a match made in heaven.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgildonatifan View Post
    I'm planning on buying a Danielsson reel for a 3wt outfit but I can't put something like that on a R1000 rod. That would be like putting bicycle wheels on a maclaren... It doesn't work and it looks bad. So I want to hear what you guys think about the following. I'm looking at buying a G. Loomis streamdance (custom/factory built) or a Sage Z-axis (custom/factory built). What rod would you go for? What other rods are there that are in that range? What would the price difference be between a custom built and a factory built rod? Looking at a 3wt outfit
    I'd go for a Sage factory built rod, if I had to choose between Sage and G.Loomis. Probably the ZXL 8'6" 3wt 4pce. (But if the choice was extended, I'd rather go for a CTS Affinity MX 3wt 8foot 4pce. I've just completed one for someone and it's an incredible rod.)
    The Z-Axis 3wt 4pce only comes in 9 foot...I'd rather go for an 8 foot rod.

    a Custom built Sage will cost you less than a factory Sage. You don't have to put on the most expensive components, and still have an incredible looking rod with high-quality components.
    a Factory rod bag and tube also is very expensive (like R 800.00 or so), so you can save a lot there by just going with a plain non-branded rod bag and rod tube.

    The only negative point on a custom rod vs a factory rod, is the lifetime warranty. On a factory Sage, you have a lifetime warranty on the entire rod. If something breaks, they replace the rod.
    On a custom Sage, the lifetime warranty is on the blank only. So if a section breaks, they replace the blank only. Which means you will have a slight cost, of a new grip, guides, reel seat, for example. Plus you may have to wait a bit for the blank to come in and the new components to be put on.
    That's the only negative point though. My opinion has always been that a custom rod is better than a factory rod, because you can really put on components you like, play around to get a different look, etc.
    Then it's better to insure the rod anyway...as then it's covered against breakage, as well as theft, loss, etc. And it's really cheap too. You can use the money you save by getting a custom rod, to cover the insurance costs.
    Last edited by Michael; 22-11-09 at 03:20 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Mike - what are your views on the T&T Whisper-lite (or LPS series before that) rods?

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •