Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Going all out

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    ... just a little difficult for a novice to get to use properly. It is far easier to get the hang of a slow rod...
    Whatever you say then
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

For a first time buyer to buy a Z-Axis, is just plain lunacy. Your comment about "unforgiving", means it is a technical rod, and not for innexperienced stream fishermen. For the more experienced, who want quick line pickup, easy and long mending, the ability to cast a very long leader with a short line, and the ability to fish multiple flies accurately, and precisely, it's a great rod. It is able to shoot a multiple fly rig, directly into a tight spot. Its a peach of a rod, and so responsive, that many guys say it drops fish, but one simply needs to slow down the hook set slightly. To be able to do all this, the rod is understandably going to be a little more difficult to use than the average slower rod.
    To say it has no finnesse, and unsuitable for stream craft, is simply not true, it is an absolute peach of a stream rod, just a little difficult for a novice to get to use properly. It is far easier to get the hang of a slow rod, especially for the feel of the load, but in certain cases, people prefer the faster actioned rod.
    So Mario is a novice stream fisherman then? Sometimes your arrogance knows no bounds...

all this talk of fast and slow rods

I must own the slowest rod in history then

I left it on the table and it hasnt moved and Inch !!!

I have the answer to this conumdrum

its called personal preference !!!!
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

There is personal preference, you are 100% right.

But there is also advice to be given, to "relative newcomers as well" and to more experienced gurus

I remember my first fly rod, that I bought. On advice from a very well know "guru" in the fly fishing world.

I hated that stick so badly, to the extent that I nearly gave up fly fishing.
    Got another rod, at half the price, and I was as happy as a pig in SH!T

It suited my casting style etc.
    I wish there was a forum available then for advice.
    You can then see what all have to say and test, try etc, then make an informed decision.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    all this talk of fast and slow rods

I must own the slowest rod in history then

I left it on the table and it hasnt moved and Inch !!!

I have the answer to this conumdrum

its called personal preference !!!!
    Yup, that was my point about the ZXL - it does nothing for me. I guess the reason manufacturers bring out rods with different actions is because everyone has a different casting style and a preference for slower or faster actioned rods. To say a particular rod is the best stream rod etc is simply your preference and nothing more.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    So Mario is a novice stream fisherman then? Sometimes your arrogance knows no bounds...
    No , I did not say that, and please don't jump to unneccessary conclusions.
    Mario was the one who mentioned first time buyers who get fast rods, and then it comming back to bite them, not me. I was taking this comment and qualifying it a little further according to my own impression, as to the problems that i see novices having with the faster rods, and in particular the Z-Axis. I certainly dont think that Mario is a novice stream fisherman, and my comment did not come out of arrogance.
    Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a lot of Sages, and i make no appologies for this, but arrogance does not come into it, i am quite likely to share them with anyone who wants to try them, and have made this offer to lend them to various people on this forum, and several have taken up the offer. Being an owner of 2 TXL's, 1 ZXL, and 3 Z- Axis's, all of which are used regularly, i think I might just have a little bit of value to add to the conversation from an experience point of view. I don't expect everyone to agree, as i have some of my own unique views on stream rods, and what i want out of them.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Darryl

What model were you carrying yesterday

to quote Andre That was a Peach !!

Im still to new in stream fishing to have a preference

but as far as the salt goes ive seen guys overline "extra fast rods" so they are sluggish and conversely take a slower rod and underline it to make it quicker

Even the definition of the grains per atfm number is blury

I dont think you can be as speific as just the rod if you are going to be picky
    you need to specify the Rod and line Combo

Last thing

If someone doesnt agree with you on rod choice please dont take it as a full frontal personal assult

as it has been said this thread is to give advice not cry cos someone dont like /disagrees with your rod choice

my 20 00000000000000 zim dollars worth

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

No , I did not say that, and please don't jump to unneccessary conclusions.
    Mario was the one who mentioned first time buyers who get fast rods, and then it comming back to bite them, not me. I was taking this comment and qualifying it a little further according to my own impression, as to the problems that i see novices having with the faster rods, and in particular the Z-Axis. I certainly dont think that Mario is a novice stream fisherman, and my comment did not come out of arrogance.
    Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a lot of Sages, and i make no appologies for this, but arrogance does not come into it, i am quite likely to share them with anyone who wants to try them, and have made this offer to lend them to various people on this forum, and several have taken up the offer. Being an owner of 2 TXL's, 1 ZXL, and 3 Z- Axis's, all of which are used regularly, i think I might just have a little bit of value to add to the conversation from an experience point of view. I don't expect everyone to agree, as i have some of my own unique views on stream rods, and what i want out of them.
    That's certainly not how your post came across as. Mario commented on why he felt the Z-Axis was not a good stream rod based on his experience with one, and your comeback was all around the fact the is in fact a great stream rod, but not suitable for beginners, which then almost implies he's a novice. Nevertheless let's mark it down to a misunderstanding and move on.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 25-11-09 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    That's certainly not how your post came across as. Mario commented on why he felt the Z-Axis was not a good stream rod based on his experience with one, and your comeback was all around the fact the is in fact a great stream rod, but not suitable for beginners, which then almost implies he's a novice. Nevertheless let's mark it down to a misunderstanding and move on.
    your apology is accepted.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

OKAY.......................Getting back to the thread....

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast