Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: starting a bug farm

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dargaville NZ
    Posts
    451

    Default starting a bug farm

    hello,
    something i have long wanted to do. is to get fish tank going with bugs.
    dragons, and mayflies and the like. where can you suggest i begin the search with books to do something like this.
    surly gillie seems to have something like this for his photos. so any suggestions will be appreciated.

    cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Centurion, Gauteng
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Now this sounds like an interesting idea ... I'm just worried a bit about the stage where the insect in it's "water stage", gets to the point where it transforms into the "flying stage" ... like a dragonfly for example ... I think doing this successfully might be more complicated than one might think...

  3. #3

    Default

    Send me a PM on what you want to know. I have been keeping fish and plants for a couple of years, also kept bugs for a while. Don't know of any books except for those that are about aquarium fish and plants. I can also supply you with a list of beginners specie plants. I got my tank stable enough to do a water change once a month which is quite a minimal effort at upkeep
    BOSHOF! wil jy huis toe gaan? Jaa samajoor! JY KANNIE!

    The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonix View Post
    Now this sounds like an interesting idea ... I'm just worried a bit about the stage where the insect in it's "water stage", gets to the point where it transforms into the "flying stage" ... like a dragonfly for example ... I think doing this successfully might be more complicated than one might think...
    It's not really that complicated, just keep the water temps low and it can take up to two years for the nymphs to grow into flies
    BOSHOF! wil jy huis toe gaan? Jaa samajoor! JY KANNIE!

    The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garyatstealth View Post
    hello,
    something i have long wanted to do. is to get fish tank going with bugs.
    dragons, and mayflies and the like. where can you suggest i begin the search with books to do something like this.
    surly gillie seems to have something like this for his photos. so any suggestions will be appreciated.

    cheers
    Surly's thing is a temp thing for photo's I think.
    The big question is how are you going to feed your bugs?
    Regards
    Craig

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parys / Free State
    Posts
    49

    Default

    yawn, yawn, dude may I ask, have you not considered getting a swambo instead, there are better things to do than to watch 600 species of mayfly hatch ....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,050

    Default

    HIE HIE HIE LMAO. very sharp.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deon TerBlanche View Post
    yawn, yawn, dude may I ask, have you not considered getting a swambo instead, there are better things to do than to watch 600 species of mayfly hatch ....
    What? see how they mate?
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  9. #9

    Default

    You can feed tadpoles to the dragonfly nymphs or hatch some sea monkeyes a.k.a. brine shrimp. It's a very easy setup and rich with nutrients. I think you pay about R60 for a little container and it holds about a million eggs if not more. Fish will eat them as well
    BOSHOF! wil jy huis toe gaan? Jaa samajoor! JY KANNIE!

    The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garyatstealth View Post
    hello,
    something i have long wanted to do. is to get fish tank going with bugs.
    dragons, and mayflies and the like. where can you suggest i begin the search with books to do something like this.
    surly gillie seems to have something like this for his photos. so any suggestions will be appreciated.

    cheers
    Great idea, my ff buddies brother breeds a freshwater shrimp that breeds easy. Just sceptic about releasing it as food into our stillwaters. Doing some homework first.

    Snails are also a option, good nourishment for any fish.

    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •