Thread: Witte Mystery

Default Witte Mystery

Hi guys, sorry about the somewhat startling title, if you were wondering i didn't catch a sea run brown on the river or anything like that i just thought the more startling the title the more likely it is that people will read it Anyway down to business

My father and i fished beats two and three of the Witte this past weekend(december the 5th)and despite water levels being at their normal level we didn't hook a single trout, or see a single one rising or see a single trout at all as a matter of fact. The only fish we saw or caught were Burchell's Redfin which were out in their numbers.

I know what you're thinking, two amateurs out on one of the most demanding rivers south africa has to offer and they couldn't pull it off. Well i can assure you that wasn't the case, although only seventeen i have been fishing cape streams from the age of ten with much success and have cracked the Witte each time i have fished it.

Anyway enough of defending my fishing ability without cause, my actual reason for posting this thread was to find out if there was anyone who perhaps knew why a few kilometers of prime water was rendered fishless under seemingly normal conditions and if there is a reason for concern for the well being of our most prized jewel.

The only other time that i have seen a beat of the Witte almost completely fishless was when we fished beat 5 and 6 in autunm of last year and the river level was still quite low.

Thanx
    Chevaan

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by chevy View Post
    Hi guys, sorry about the somewhat startling title, if you were wondering i didn't catch a sea run brown on the river or anything like that i just thought the more startling the title the more likely it is that people will read it Anyway down to business

My father and i fished beats two and three of the Witte this past weekend(december the 5th)and despite water levels being at their normal level we didn't hook a single trout, or see a single one rising or see a single trout at all as a matter of fact. The only fish we saw or caught were Burchell's Redfin which were out in their numbers.

I know what you're thinking, two amateurs out on one of the most demanding rivers south africa has to offer and they couldn't pull it off. Well i can assure you that wasn't the case, although only seventeen i have been fishing cape streams from the age of ten with much success and have cracked the Witte each time i have fished it.

Anyway enough of defending my fishing ability without cause, my actual reason for posting this thread was to find out if there was anyone who perhaps knew why a few kilometers of prime water was rendered fishless under seemingly normal conditions and if there is a reason for concern for the well being of our most prized jewel.

The only other time that i have seen a beat of the Witte almost completely fishless was when we fished beat 5 and 6 in autunm of last year and the river level was still quite low.

Thanx
    Chevaan
    Chevaan
    The lower beats of the Witte suffer tremendously during the summer due to most of the summer flow being diverted down Pumber's Furrow (at the weir on beat 4) to supply the farmers in the Krom valley with water (this issue is currently being adressed by the CPS). As a result the river below the weir at the downstream of beat 4 becomes virtually stagnant. The resultant effect then is that the water heats up and fish don't survive. Although I have heard reports of people taking the odd fish in the deeper pools on beat 3, nothing has been caught further downstream.

I didn't know that the flow decrease was that drastic, it is a great pity that anyone can allow such a thing to happen to such a beautiful stream

Anyway thanx for the info much appreciated

Yup, I was going to suggest that you were too low down to have good fishing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.