Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Storage of Bushy Dries

Default Storage of Bushy Dries

Recently I've started tying more dries and some of them are starting to look like I might actually tie them onto my line

Not wanting to squash/crush my efforts what would be the best way of storing large bushy dries - specifically flies like rabs? Are there speciality dry fly boxes I could look at getting or am I going to have to keep them in the tupperware container they're currectly in?
    Check your knots!

The new Xplorer boxes works quite well for me. Clear top with loads of room for posts, so no squashing of flies

http://www.xplorerflyfishing.co.za/w...f_fly_box1.jpg
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Any compartment style box should do the trick... check out a craft store... i got a load of clear plastic compartment boxes they sold for storing beads or needles or whatever the heck crafty people use them for. or there are a few fly fishing boxes that don;t have ridged foam, but rather rigid compartments. those are what you need for bushy dries. you can pack em in too.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Recently I've started tying more dries and some of them are starting to look like I might actually tie them onto my line

Not wanting to squash/crush my efforts what would be the best way of storing large bushy dries - specifically flies like rabs? Are there speciality dry fly boxes I could look at getting or am I going to have to keep them in the tupperware container they're currectly in?
    Hi Dave,

Old plastic film canisters work well for storing a bunch of RAB's. The other option is cheap plastic compartment boxes. A good idea from Sean Mills was to line the bottom of these cheap boxes with an adhesive magnetic strip (available from craft shops) to prevent all the flies disappearing when you open the box in the wind. The other option if they are poodle RAB's is to just attach a leash to them and let them walk next to you until you need them.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    The other option if they are poodle RAB's is to just attach a leash to them and let them walk next to you until you need them.
    Ha, Nice!!! a few okes round these parts are tying up those poodle RABs. I've yet to take one for a walk, but oh so true...

I use a small Tupperware container about 75 x 75 x 50 lined with magnetic tape for my RAB's

The other option if they are poodle RAB's is to just attach a leash to them and let them walk next to you until you need them.
    You're getting slow Darryl - I'm sure you've used that line on here before

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll look at gluing some magnetic strips to the bottom of my small plano storage box. Up until now I've been using different airwaves mint containers for differnet flies. The lids are see through and screw onto the bottom half of the container but they also have a flip up top if that makes sense?

Thought I'd look like a bit of a pleb with a whole heap of mint containers but obviously I'm not the only one with recycled fly boxes. Wonder if the fish will enjoy their new minty fresh breath
    Check your knots!

Got one of these C&F boxes for the streams. Dries in the compartments, nymphs in the foam slits.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    You're getting slow Darryl - I'm sure you've used that line on here before
    It was worth repeating

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Got one of these C&F boxes for the streams. Dries in the compartments, nymphs in the foam slits.

Shaun, I have one of these and the poodles complain to the SPCA whein I shove them into those compartments. I currently use empty Top Ride bottles for my poodles.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Shaun, I have one of these and the poodles complain to the SPCA whein I shove them into those compartments. I currently use empty Top Ride bottles for my poodles.
    Well he did say Bushy Flies, not Bushy Dogs !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast