Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasti Dip vs Loon UV Clear Fly Finish....

Default Plasti Dip vs Loon UV Clear Fly Finish....

Q for the salty tyers: I have seen some clips of Steve Farrar tying baitfish patterns, and he uses a product called "Plasti Dip" (a clear, flexible coating) that he injects into the fly to help keep it's shape, and also over the head area just you would with epoxy.

Anone know where I can get this locally?

An alternative would be use Loon's UV Clear Fly Finish, which comes in a large tube with an applicator needle so that you can inject the stuff into the body of the fly. Anybody used this stuff?

I have heard good things about it, but my concern is that it is AFAIK basically an alternative to epoxy, so sets rock hard (under UV...sun or lamp), whereas the Plasti Dip is flexible...but how flexible I don't know.

An alternative I suppose, would be to use one of the other Loon UV products - like their wader repair or boat repair (that might be inherently more flexible due to the intended use; i.e. waders / float tube bladder) INSIDE the fly, and to use the Fly Finish over the head and eyes...

What I am trying say is that I don't want to end up with an overly stiff "saucer plate" of a fly...like some of the commercial Hi-Tie's you see...

Or as suggested by MC in another of the salty thread, should I just be sticking with the good old Chartreuse Clouser in 2/0, 3/0 and 6/0

(I have a day trip planned for offshore Durban sometime early in the New Year, and would like to tie up some large baitfish patterns for whatever we might come across - hopefully some Dorado / bonnies / mackerals etc.)
    Last edited by JanK; 12-12-09 at 07:30 PM.
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

The latest craze in Oz is Crystal Clear Liquid Fusion.
    http://www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.a...+finish&page=2
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

The Loons soft head works well, it sets like plastic and is still flexible. If you place the bottle in heated water it turns soft like an epoxy and you can apply it any way you like. I use it on my silicone mullets now, it lasts longer and is 100 times easier to apply. The fly you are talking about with the "spine" is the mushmouth, great little fly, I have tied it, it looks easier than it is trust me. If I was you I will tie some profile flies and some candies. Then use you clousers untill you have caught something, then switch to flies you wanna experiment with.

My 2C
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    The latest craze in Oz is Crystal Clear Liquid Fusion.
    http://www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.a...+finish&page=2
    Had to register to see the post - but still have an "Access denied" when trying to view the images...

EDIT: ah, it seems that I am still "...in the moderation queue to be added to the forum".
    Last edited by JanK; 12-12-09 at 06:00 PM.
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    The Loons soft head works well, it sets like plastic and is still flexible...
    Aah - I was also thinking about silicone, but forgot about the softhead stuff. Now just need to get some.!

Thanks Dewald.
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Bob Popovic uses this stuff http://www.wetahook.net/index.html

pretty insane... you can shape it and mess around and when your ready just use the UV light and it sets
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    Bob Popovic uses this stuff http://www.wetahook.net/index.html

pretty insane... you can shape it and mess around and when your ready just use the UV light and it sets

Basically the same as the Loon UV Fly Finish then...
    Last edited by JanK; 12-12-09 at 08:24 PM.
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

except the g0dfather of saltwater fly tying uses it
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Who...?
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Had to register to see the post - but still have an "Access denied" when trying to view the images...

EDIT: ah, it seems that I am still "...in the moderation queue to be added to the forum".

Crystal Clear Liquid Fusion is a water based urethane glue that works and looks like epoxy without the mess and smell. Ideal for coating eyes, heads and wing cases. It can be thinned down with water if a more penetrating thinner consistency is the objective. 2oz bottle.

http://www.flyworld.com.au/view/home...itlesearch/LQF
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast