Thread: "Psychodelic" Squid...

Default "Psychodelic" Squid...

Fresh off the vice...got an offshore trip planned for early in the New Year, and the urge to tie grabbed me and I made this chap out of some scraps that I had lying about...you NEVER have the RIGHT materials when you NEED it...right? <sigh>

Hook: Grip 21711-NSL 4/0
    Thread: Danville fluo pink 6/0 (too thin, broke it a few times, but didn't have any 3/0)
    Tail (inner): pinch of coloured ostrich herl (from a well used feather duster! )
    Tail (outer): 2 x white and 1 x purple saddle hackle, on each side of the hook
    Head: twisted rope of pearl and light pink 10mm crystal chenille
    Eyes: 9mm silver 3D stick on's
    Head "shroud": Pink Neer hair

EDIT - changed the name of this thread to "Psychodelic" Squid after receiving a heads up that a "Psychosquid" already exists in the Fishient saltwater fly selection by the well known salty tyer Cliffy Rochester. I wasn't aware of Cliffy's use of the name, and fully retract any claim that I might have had on the name...

You can see Cliffy's excellent fly here: http://www.fishient.com/saltwater_flies.htm#s4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JanK; 17-12-09 at 06:21 PM.
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

I like, let us know how it worked!

looks verry squidee !!

nice tie
    let us know how it fishes

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Thanks chaps.

Got an offshore trip planned for early in the New Year, getting a head start on the vice.

Will post some pics as I get to the flies, and then definitely of the outing!
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Hi Jan, we are having some good offshore fishing here at the moment, so its worthwhile to plan well.

Some suggestions/questions before your trip:
    Are you fishing with other FF of baities?
    Is the Skipper and boat set-up for FF?
    Going offshore to the FADs or inshore?

I saw you also posted something on hooks on another thread - I prefer the high carbon hooks versus the SS hooks, mainly due to hook strenght and resistance to bending. If cost is an issue with the Gama SL 12, look at the Gama SOI hooks, they are offset, but you can bend them easily with a strong pair of pliers. Just cover the jawz with some masking tape to prvent damage to hook coating. They are awesome strong shortshank hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    Hi Jan, we are having some good offshore fishing here at the moment, so its worthwhile to plan well.

I saw you also posted something on hooks on another thread - I prefer the high carbon hooks versus the SS hooks, mainly due to hook strenght and resistance to bending. If cost is an issue with the Gama SL 12, look at the Gama SOI hooks, they are offset, but you can bend them easily with a strong pair of pliers. Just cover the jawz with some masking tape to prvent damage to hook coating. They are awesome strong shortshank hooks.
    If you're after SL12's then Ferdi at Fishers is your man - they're ridiculously cheap because he buys the bulk 1000 hook boxes!
    Check your knots!

Hi Jan, we are having some good offshore fishing here at the moment, so its worthwhile to plan well..
    Hence my 6-8 week head start at the vice...

In short:
    - other FF (4 of us won the trip in a trout comp earlier this year)
    - must find out - it's the "Pulsator" out of Durban
    - hopefully out to the FADS

I am looking at the Gama SL12, and also the SC15. The Grip that I used in the squiddee looks and feels very much like the Gama.

Any thoughts on circle hooks?

Thanks for the input!
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

What has worked for us out at the FAD's has been smaller patterns, like 2/0 Flashies and Crease Flies on Int lines. Dorries are usually smaller up to 5kg so
    8-10 wt stuff. They seem to turn off the bigger patterns pretty quick, so try get in there before your mates with the first cast for a chance at a bigger fish. Interestingly, I got a small (about 4kg) Cape Yellowtail early this year between the Dorries.

Another possibilty is inshore around South Pier for some Kingies, Snoek and other species. Mostly smaller fish, but great fun. We got about 15 Big Eye Kingies on Sunday in an hour just of the South Pier.

I prefer J-hooks for Dorries, but will stick to Circles for all my Kingie flies, except on poppers.

Just to get you more exited, I got this fish on the 100m mark on a light spinning rod on Sunday - note the terrible sea conditions...

Nice fish

was it on the color line or structure or floatys??

my trip via via via starts soon with 8 days on the SC

while I like the gammas

I still seriosly rate the 34007s (all you need is a hone)

the joy is not having to baby your flybox or vacum seal flys
    you can swim as many flies as you like with out rusting problems
    The proportions are great too
    Given they are softer in the smaller sizes if you know and dont try to winch the fish out you shouldnt have any problems
    I am currently swimming the Gamma Circles and if I could just break my strike reflex
    I could tell you how they are going

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    Nice fish

was it on the color line or structure or floatys??

/d
    Current line with some fresh Umgeni Hyacint.

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post

I still seriosly rate the 34007s (all you need is a hone)

/d
    These days I only use the 34007 for some patterns smaller than size 2. I must admit, I have outgrown them, just lost too many fish on hooks opening up on the big sizes, but than me a big non-IGFA proponent!

I also find the Gama circles a bit light compared to the Owners SSW's from 10wt up for similar reasons as above.

Gives us a shout when you get down here. I am only away in the Eastern Cape 23Dec-2Jan.