Thread: Stealth Magnum 6wt 10ft 4pce

Talking Stealth Magnum 6wt 10ft 4pce

Hi
    I recently posted blog on malachite 3pce 5wt. I decided to get a refund on this rod and got a Stealth Magnum 6wt 10ft 4pce at R750-00, a bargain since the suggested retail is around R1200! I have to tell you: they're quite ugly, the finishing, guides, fittings, rod tube etc is very standard and nothing impressive BUT do yourself the favour and cast one, WOW. I know it's not a Sage or has the finishing touch of the TFO TI Crx, but it's a hell of a lot of rod for that kind of money. I cant wait to fish it on the Vaal this weekend!

Cheers
    Stef

What made you change from the Kingfisher to the Stealth?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Get yourself some Calzanetto and work especially the eyelets and your line ... those rods end up making a sh!t noise which gets rather annoying after about 5 casts.

Not a bad price for a reasonable rod.

Snakelets FTW !
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Hi
    I recently posted blog on malachite 3pce 5wt. I decided to get a refund on this rod and got a Stealth Magnum 6wt 10ft 4pce at R750-00, a bargain since the suggested retail is around R1200! I have to tell you: they're quite ugly, the finishing, guides, fittings, rod tube etc is very standard and nothing impressive BUT do yourself the favour and cast one, WOW. I know it's not a Sage or has the finishing touch of the TFO TI Crx, but it's a hell of a lot of rod for that kind of money. I cant wait to fish it on the Vaal this weekend!

Cheers
    Stef
    PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM SPONSORED AS PART OF THE PROTEA TEAM BY STEATH BUT I WILL NOT USE NOR PROMOTE ANY PRODUCT UNLESS I BELIEVE IN IT.

That said, I have multiple Magnums, including a 10ft 5wt and the 10ft 6wt (and a 10ft 5wt XP).

While the 5wt Magnum is lighter - pretty much the same weight as the XP (does not have the fighting butt) and has more sensitivity(better for czech nymph take detection), the 10ft 6wt is a power stick for fishing the Vaal - better fish landing power (As Scythe about "horsing" fish).

I predict you will be very happy.

Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    the 10ft 6wt is a power stick for fishing the Vaal - better fish landing power (As Scythe about "horsing" fish).
    Don't you mean, horsing fish while washing through cascading water over stones and all sorts of fun stuff ? Foul hooked or not, I landed and released her safely ... no Yellowfish with shiny @ss adornments on my conscience thanks !

I predict you will be very happy.
    I agree, especially at that price, it's light enough and strong enough for a full day of fishing on the Vaal.

My only negative comment about the rod (as well as the other 9' Stealth rods I have fished) was that I prefer snakelets to normal round eyelets, less friction on line, quieter casting, all round better fishing experience ... but that's just MY view on it and it doesn't really apply when mostly CZN or SLN.
    Last edited by Scythe; 21-02-07 at 03:29 PM.

Default Magnum 10ft 6wt

I spoke to a friend as well as flyshop owner, both were of the opinion that the Malachite is NOT a bad rod but the Magnum is simply in a different league! In recent TCFF interview, Bill H Steele also regarded the Magnums quite highly (objective opinion or complying with endorsement deal terms?) Anyway I have cast both and between the two the Magnum rules. I also don't like the eyelets and prefer snakelets. What the hell is calzanetta?

Anyway I've had a Malachite 8/9wt for years which I bought for R300. THAT is a dedicated saltwater workhorse!

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Don't you mean, horsing fish while washing through cascading water over stones and all sorts of fun stuff ? Foul hooked or not, I landed and released her safely ... no Yellowfish with shiny @ss adornments on my conscience thanks !
    Relax Scythe - I was not refering to ANY fish you caught, rather I was implying that you have seen ME "horse" fish, ie pull VERY hard and land them very quickly with the 6wt Magnum.
    A number of times I could hook, play & land a fish in a few seconds and unless you were watching, you would have heard & seen nothing...

Gary

I personally prefer my TFO to the Stealth, but I would choose the stealth over the Kingfisher any day. I had a kingfisher, for 2 days, gave it back cos it fell apart. They are cr@p rods.

Out of interest, where did you get the Stealth?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

A number of times I could hook, play & land a fish in a few seconds and unless you were watching, you would have heard & seen nothing...
    Ja windbuks, I was paying attention if you will recall ... not to worry ... rematch is on the cards