Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SF Minnow

Default SF Minnow

Hi all

Minnows of all descriptions are very popular patterns and Ryan's recent post with his striped mullet minnow is yet another great example of this genre of fly.

It's versaltility extends beyond the realm of saltwater and what immediately comes to mind are applications for largemouth yellows, bass, tigerfish and smaller versions for trout.

In the November 09 edition of TCFF, Murray Pedder, in his article about tying exotic flies had a minnow pattern, the SF Minnow. I love this pattern, a simple variant of the flashy profile tied with Fishient's Steve Ferrar's flash blend. SF blend, to my mind, is probably one of the best synthetic materials to make its appearance recently. The pattern, as I said, is simple and durable and has already made its mark on tigerfish.

I added Fishient's frantic eyes and I think this pattern is a "go to" pattern which will always have a place in my fly box!

Regards

Paul

Last edited by Sage; 24-12-09 at 07:26 AM.
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Default SF Minnow

Hi Sage

I can vouch for the effectiveness of the SF Minnows - took my first leerie on one this Dec - olive over white version, tied on a daihici carp hook with off set. The fish hammered it one time! First fish I took on those type of flies, but since I started tying them, I knew they would work.

Only prob with SF and other synthetics are that weed and debris tend to stick to it quite easily. But you can solve this problem by hitting the ly against the water a couple of times or combing it out with small comb.

Regards

Stef

Very very nice Paulie.

I like it...SBS please?

Quote Originally Posted by GrootWillie View Post
    I like it...SBS please?
    Sure, just a tad under the whip at the moment, so give it a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    NICE. Yes, SBS please...but if you are under the cosh , then in the mean time: what size Gama is that?

I am busy tying for a saltwater trip later this month / early Feb...I have put together a SF baitfish on a 4/0 with the same colours as yours, but with a lateral line of some silver flash and the "violet night" SF material...will take a pic and post here ASAP.
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    NICE. Yes, SBS please...but if you are under the cosh , then in the mean time: what size Gama is that?

I am busy tying for a saltwater trip later this month / early Feb...I have put together a SF baitfish on a 4/0 with the same colours as yours, but with a lateral line of some silver flash and the "violet night" SF material...will take a pic and post here ASAP.
    Hi Jan

Awesome, can't wait to see your post! As regards the hook, it's a Mustad C70 in 2/0. It's Mustad's version of the Gama SL12 and it has a slightly longer shank. Very nice hook!

Regards

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    I'll hold you to it!

SF Baitfish.

Hook: Grip saltwater 4/0

Belly: white slinky fibre

Lateral Line: some left over "lemon" colour slinky fibre with strands of silver crinkle flash, topped with "violet night" SF blend

Upper body: "peacock" SF blend

Eyes: 7mm stick on 3D

Head: Loon's UV Fly Finish cured at night with a Loon's Power Light
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Hi there Jan

Thanks for the post, that's a really cool fly! I particularly enjoy the purple section in the middle and the big eyes is a nice variation on the original, good trigger in my books!

Getting back to the purple, I see a lot of success with this colour these days from tigers on the Zambezi to various salt water critters. Apparently it's the last colour to disappear from the colour spectrum as a fly descends into the depths! Highly under rated colour.

I'm going to start on the SBS today and try post it this evening!

Happy tying, regards

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast