Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaal Streams

Hybrid View

Default Vaal Streams

Hi All

I found this place on the web, looking forward to fishing it as soon as the flows calm down a bit, they have only been open about 3 months apparently.... have a look for yourselves;

www.vaalstreams.co.za

I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

FlyFanatic Banned User

Its just below the Vaal dam wall if im not mistaking. Thus you could check the outlet from the dam and see if its fishable or not. Normally they keep the outlet constant at about 20cumecs. Just remember this venue will be the same as all the venues above the barrage, silted, super clean, fishing very challanging, sounds awesome! hehe!

Please let us know how it is

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Its just below the Vaal dam wall if im not mistaking. Thus you could check the outlet from the dam and see if its fishable or not. Normally they keep the outlet constant at about 20cumecs. Just remember this venue will be the same as all the venues above the barrage, silted, super clean, fishing very challanging, sounds awesome! hehe!

Please let us know how it is
    Will do.... not sure when I will be going yet, but damn keen to try it..

I've been fishing that area on and off for a number of years, from right below the wall, down to the prison area. There are always fish around, but it is generally tougher fishing than below the barrage. There are a number of largies to be found there too.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I've been fishing that area on and off for a number of years, from right below the wall, down to the prison area. There are always fish around, but it is generally tougher fishing than below the barrage. There are a number of largies to be found there too.

PM sent...

Default Been There!

Hi Guys

I had the plasure of going dow to Vaalstreams at the beginning of December and all I can say is I'm looking forward to my return trip!
    Me and my 2 stepbrothers went for a guided trip on the Saturday and was in awe of the amount of knowledge the guide had to offer.
    We went out on the river at around 8am (only because we arrived there late!) for morning session of fishing. After some tips from the guide we were left to fish this awesome stretch of river which offers all the structure and rapids any flyfisherman could hope for. This really is a great stretch of river for fishing as well as a beautifully scenic stretch. After the morning session we were greeted with a braai on the go and lunch was served. We then headed back into the river for the afternoon session. The 3 of us inexperienced fishermen didn't get into the fish on this day purely because of the fact that we were struggling with our leaders aswe didn't reallycomeprepared. Our guide though was into the fish the entire day, catching some beautiful Smallmouths.
    We then headed up to our base just before the skies opened up. The accomodation at Vaalstreams is top-class, when you arrive at the gate you get a real rustic sense, but as soon as you get to your cottage this changes as the cottages have all the modern luxuries any person can wish for.
    We had a great braai and then called it a night for the next morning's fishing.
    The Sunday morning we got onto the river at 5 o'clock and a mere 15 minutes later we were into the fish, putting everything learnt the previous day to practice. Between the 3 of us, or should I say, between the 2 of them they netted around 8 SM's in the morning. We were very reluctant to leave, but unfortunately it was back to reality for us.
    I highly recommend Vaalstreams as the hospitality and the fascilities are top-class. Guiding for beginners is highly recommended as there is so much to be learnt from these guys. I will be organising my return very soon!

Hi Henk

thanks for the response, this is only making me MORE eager to go there now... wow... and by the way, welcome to the forum. Great report on this venue.

Thumbs up gazzarowan

great review of the area...had a look on the site and couldn't get any clear pics of what the water was like.
    glad you let us know the area is fishable and productive.

super keen to give it a try soon!

got an interesting new variation i tied on the orange hot spot PTN i'd like to try out.

tight lines guys

Quote Originally Posted by henkvb View Post
    Hi Guys

I had the plasure of going dow to Vaalstreams at the beginning of December and all I can say is I'm looking forward to my return trip!
    Me and my 2 stepbrothers went for a guided trip on the Saturday and was in awe of the amount of knowledge the guide had to offer.
    We went out on the river at around 8am (only because we arrived there late!) for morning session of fishing. After some tips from the guide we were left to fish this awesome stretch of river which offers all the structure and rapids any flyfisherman could hope for. This really is a great stretch of river for fishing as well as a beautifully scenic stretch. After the morning session we were greeted with a braai on the go and lunch was served. We then headed back into the river for the afternoon session. The 3 of us inexperienced fishermen didn't get into the fish on this day purely because of the fact that we were struggling with our leaders aswe didn't reallycomeprepared. Our guide though was into the fish the entire day, catching some beautiful Smallmouths.
    We then headed up to our base just before the skies opened up. The accomodation at Vaalstreams is top-class, when you arrive at the gate you get a real rustic sense, but as soon as you get to your cottage this changes as the cottages have all the modern luxuries any person can wish for.
    We had a great braai and then called it a night for the next morning's fishing.
    The Sunday morning we got onto the river at 5 o'clock and a mere 15 minutes later we were into the fish, putting everything learnt the previous day to practice. Between the 3 of us, or should I say, between the 2 of them they netted around 8 SM's in the morning. We were very reluctant to leave, but unfortunately it was back to reality for us.
    I highly recommend Vaalstreams as the hospitality and the fascilities are top-class. Guiding for beginners is highly recommended as there is so much to be learnt from these guys. I will be organising my return very soon!
    Great report, and it's evident you really love fishing and the venue! My only comment, not aimed at you, is if you were struggling with your leaders/rigs why was the 'guide' concentrating on catching all the fish for himself? He should have ensured you were prepared for the job?

Cheers, Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

FlyFanatic Banned User

Ja i agree chris, normally the guide shouldnt fish AT ALL! only after he has seen that his client has got the ropes totally, he could request if he could fish as well. He doesnt get paid to fish, he gets paid to get YOU into fish!

Anyways, sounds like a great venue! Looking forward to feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast