Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: aquatic entomology

Default aquatic entomology

I would like to brush up on my aquatic entomology knowledge a bit and I think it will be a nice idea if we can share some of our findings and facts about some of the interesting aquatic insects that live in and around our streams and stillwaters, and collectively try to identify unknown creatures. Photographs would be most welcome!
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 13-10-06 at 04:19 PM.

I once saw an interesting documentary by David Attenborough on the life of birds and one particular bird caught my attention. I have no clue what it was, but this bird was a fly fisherman, the original fly fisherman without a doubt! It arrived at the waters edge with a fly in its mouth and proceeded to drop it upstream of its position and before the fly got out of beaks reach, he picked it up again, and repeated the performance, until a little fish came up and took the fly, which resulted in the bird nailing the fish. I was amazed to see this! Such intelligence! Did anyone see the documentary? What bird was that?

3. Default

Never seen it, but hell, that must be some bird - matching the hatch and all!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I once saw an interesting documentary by David Attenborough on the life of birds and one particular bird caught my attention. I have no clue what it was, but this bird was a fly fisherman, the original fly fisherman without a doubt! It arrived at the waters edge with a fly in its mouth and proceeded to drop it upstream of its position and before the fly got out of beaks reach, he picked it up again, and repeated the performance, until a little fish came up and took the fly, which resulted in the bird nailing the fish. I was amazed to see this! Such intelligence! Did anyone see the documentary? What bird was that?
    Chris,

IIRC it was one of the heron species.

Rgds,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I would like to brush up on my aquatic entomology knowledge a bit and I think it will be a nice idea if we can share some of our findings and facts about some of the interesting aquatic insects that live in and around our streams and stillwaters, and collectively try to identify unknown creatures. Photographs would be most welcome!
    Here is one to start with, pumped from a jdt rainbow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

6. Default

Guys

Don't know if this will be any help, but if you want to include any pics (not as attachments, but as images in the posting), then you can upload them at www.smallstreams.co.za/public if you want to.

Then you can just use the Insert Image option, and use the url http://www.smallstreams.co.za/public/yourfilename.ext and it should work fine.

Just a thought.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Here is one to start with, pumped from a jdt rainbow.
    common names, golden horn caddis' and toe-biter no doubt?
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 14-10-06 at 07:47 PM.

Some of the rocks were literally blackened with these flies on the Molenaars this morning. What are they? Notice the two variations, male and female?

fly.jpg

fly2.jpg

flies.jpg

How about one of these as an imitation? One of my favourite flies. Try it in a #10!

Hi Kev, small tip, de-barb your hook before you start. Just flatern it with the vice, specialy if you are going to publish it.

But this is an awsome flie...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast